Ultimate real fullrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looked at the spec posted at the site, they do not have impedance curves of FR curves. Looking at the number, the Veravox don't look like Full Ranges.
Yep, nothing published at the site. You´re not the first to complain.
I can scan some graphs of the 3 and 5S from a german speaker magazin if you´re interested.
The Veravox 3 has got ruler-flat FR with a slight peak above 10k similar to the FF85K. Distortion is much lower than of the TB W3-871S for example and the Veravox is also said to outperform both named candidates by a good margin (which can depend obviously).

greets

joensd said:

Yep, nothing published at the site. You´re not the first to complain.
I can scan some graphs of the 3 and 5S from a german speaker magazin if you´re interested.
The Veravox 3 has got ruler-flat FR with a slight peak above 10k similar to the FF85K. Distortion is much lower than of the TB W3-871S for example and the Veravox is also said to outperform both named candidates by a good margin (which can depend obviously).

greets

Would appreciate the data. Lots of magazines are influenced by adds, so most would not reveal the total story of comparisons. I guess it's best to look at the design concept, and data first hopeing that the data is quite acurrate.

If the impedance curve at 20K rises to more than twice the lowest value, I would be interest in knowing what kind of compensation they use to get that FR curve. Normally you don't just get that curve from the driver alone.

The Veravox 3 seems to be closer to the Jordan JX53 in size, I would not consider the JX53 as full range though. The TB ones are probably 3 inches, which would be larger than the Veravox 3 I think. So when you compare drivers of different sizes, the physical limitations would differ.

Konnichiwa,

Of those drivers I have heard so far and which one may coin "wideband" I find that the "sweet spot" is around 8 - 10". Much smaller drivers are too limited in terms of available dynamic range unless used as 2-Way with a seperate woofer and a fairly high crossover point, even then problems remain.

In the 8-10" Category I have heard the following:

various Lowthers
some AER
various old Radio Chassis
5" Drivers very similar to the Veravox 5" (same maker etc) in Horns
Goodmans Axiom 80, 110, Axiette etc.
Phy-Hp 8" & 12" Coax
Supravox 8"

Many of these are exceptional in certain areas, but have significant problems in others.

I like the Supravox and Phy-Hp whizzer cone less drivers best, but they need a supertweeter. From all of these I feel the Supravox fieldcoil Drivers are close to the best one can get, but cost is very high. Still, that is what I am using, with a fairly expensive horn supertweeter.

If money is a significant object I would think one of the medium size (5" or so) wizzer less Fostex's with a 200...250Hz crossover to a suitable woofer would be a good choice.

The alternative are good sounding large size (10"...12") fullrange drivers which only miss the extreme topend but have an otherwise balanced sound/tone with a good quality supertweeter. (Example Bastanis Prometheus Kit, Phy Hp Coax)

Ciao T

Konnichiwa,

hugobors said:
Do you think visaton B-200 could be a good candidate with a little tweeter? (why not a motorola piezzo like phy???)

I have not have had any experience with this driver. From the various Examples of use and the manufacturers data it appears that this driver has a very uneven balance which must be equalised (acoustically or electrically), which strikes me as a poor choice.

The ceramic magent Supravox drivers are available whizzer less in both a variant suitable to Sealed/Reflex/TQWT enclosures and one for TQWT and Opn Baffle and are not that expensive.

If cost is a real crunchpoint the Ciare CH250 seems to be good (I have to get a pair myself) or one of the various 4 - 5" Fullrangers available with a passive woofer section would seem a good idea. You get affordable 4"...5" fullrangers from Fostex, Tangband, Vifa and so on.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Some e-mail exchanges with the company dissuaded me from even considering to continue my line of enquiry. I got the feeling they are desperate to avoid getting business....

Sayonara

I've seen this with other small companies that have been around for a few decades. They develop a "take it or leave it" attitude.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by hugobors
Do you think visaton B-200 could be a good candidate with a little tweeter? (why not a motorola piezzo like phy???)

My experience with the B-200 was very good. The OBs got around and a lot of people heard them. The graphs show a rising FR... we did not experience this. I'd say this driver is really good value for the money.

dave

Konnichiwa,

DeonC said:
How do the Supravox and Phy-Hp compare with your old Axiom 80?

The Supravox I have at home (Fieldcoil, Open Baffle version) have all the good sides of the Axiom 80, without the faults, except a slightly reduced maximum SPL before they sound congested (they still play bloody loud though).

The 8" Phy-Hp from the occasions I heard it has a simalar behaviour, but perhaps a little less dynamic range, the 12" Phy Hp does (IMHO) outperform the whole lot (including Axiom 80) on most counts but it is impractical for me, at this stage and I hope my own "less compromised speaker project" will, when it bears fruit be a notable step up from that....

All that said, if you have the Ax80 and you have tamed the balance errors and operate it within it's limits it is as good as most and the rest has more to do with preference and application, than with absolute quality.

Sayonara

The Ciare CH250 is a 10" dual cone speaker with pressed-steel basket for open baffle use. You find the specs at
http://www.spectrumaudio.de

I use them in polymer concrete baffles. I read about somebody who has made very good experience with glass baffles he had originally designed for the PHY. He sold his PHYs on Ebay after he had tried the Ciares. The PHYs are said to perform better in wooden baffles. Probably the heavy bronze and alnico construction resonates too much and needs energy transfer to the surrounding material. I guess the best solution for the Ciares should be natural stone.

I use lacqued plywood for the side walls. But I found myself nocking on OSB plates some weeks ago and what I heard sounded very promising. I guess it should be possible to build pianos from that material. When you chose a narrow design for the baffle it`s important that the side walls are not parallel, in order to avoid standing waves.

You find o lot of baffle designs for the PHY athttp://www.auditorium23.de that should also be suitable for the Ciare.

I don`t have a digital camera, so I can`t show you my baffles.
But I hope I was able to help you.

Oliver

I'm going to try the Ciare 250's in place of the (modified) Goodmans 201's in my open baffles (well I got the 201's when Thorsten had a pair and if he is going for Ciares, then this disciple will follow ;) )

One thing that comes to mind is modifying them. Has anybody thought about that or has anybody actually done it? The simple pressed steel basket looks like a good candidate for some work! :smash:

full range....

Been listening to Lyeco Fullrange LY802Fs for a bit now. Seems they have something. Efficient enough (93) for tube amps.... at least my 8 watt 300Bs don't have a problem. They have pretty warm full bass (as it goes for any full range) compared to a few other full rangers I have heard.

Currently in TQWT enclosure. Took a bit of playing with stuffing....but in the end, jazz (what I listen to most) and classical sound pretty damn good.

Just finishing up designing BL horn for them. Over the next month or so will construct them (not small or light is the way it is looking!). I know, high Qts... but the math says I can, which is good enough reason to find out!

Specs> http://www.lyeco.com.tw/full range.htm

Attachments

• fullrange2.jpg
    fullrange2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,826
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.