Novice question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2005, 01:40 PM   #11
alejo is offline alejo  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Hey Hugo, Wheare you boy Jordans JX92S in Bs As?? How many ?

thank
Alejo
Old 20th May 2005, 01:42 PM   #12
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
To clarify, for mid / bass drivers, you're theoretically best using a wire with a large[r] cross-section. For the treble, you want a larger surface area (litz-style), nominally to reduce skin-effect. Think mains-cable for the former, and, say, coax, using the tubular screen as the conductor, for the latter, so long as you keep enough copper / whatever there to keep resistance as low as possible.

Cat 5 and its variations have a decent reputation as being a good compromise. The winding isn't enough to cause major capacitance / inductance benefits or problems, but it will help reject RFI slightly, and using a few runs, you get plenty of copper. It's also cheap. I still wouldn't be that bothered though; have a look at the articles here if you fancy a good and scientifically accurate read on this and many other audio-related subjects: Rod Eliot is a man who knows what he is talking about.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

Me? I'll stick to my 12g zip cord and the occasional heavy mains cable. But then, maybe I'm just cloth-eared.
If you use litz wire, normally you have the diameter in each hair such that the effective area is the same for the whole audio range, so that you should actually use the same size for all drivers, otherwise the effective impedance would not be the same.

However, normally the longest wire run is in the inductor if you use a compensation circuit for the JX92, so that would be the critical path in the signal flow.
Old 20th May 2005, 02:33 PM   #13
huguini is offline huguini  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I'll write in english to respect the people in the forum.

Hi, Alejo, Iím going to buy them via internet at creativesound.ca. The price is 150 dollars each. But the construction of the box is cheap. (Around pesos 100 each) So I'm calculating the final cost of around pesos 1500 both.
If you are interesting, please contact me by mail.
Saludos
Hugo
Old 20th May 2005, 03:41 PM   #14
alejo is offline alejo  Argentina
diyAudio Member

thanks hugo.

More questions;

Why you choise Jordan JX92S driver (u$150), instead others in that price range?
for example Fostex FE168EZ (u$139) or Cicada (arround u$120 if you find it) ?

what amplifier you think use for this speakers? tube or SS?
Old 12th June 2005, 05:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hola Alejo,
I have a friend (in USA) that have the Essence-Gaincard combination. I heard that, and sounds wonderfull to me. So I'm trying to reproduce that combo (but much cheaper)
I'm making a Gainclone also (bought the PCB from chipamp.com and the rest of the components in Argentina)

Regards

Please feel free to email me if you have more questions
Old 3rd September 2005, 03:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just want to share a picture of the project finished. My "Klonus".
They sound great... and getting better every day.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klonus.jpg (78.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 3rd September 2005, 07:27 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice to see the project finished. That always feels good doesn't it? Now...

What your next project?

Cal
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Another alternative to cat-5 cable is shielded phone cable : the cross-sectional area is a little higher, and you still have the benefits of using separated conductors. It is also cheaper. If you have the choice, prefer a cable with PE insulation rather than PVC and with a real screen (copper twists or aluminium foils) rather than with a Mylar or this kind of metalized plastic film.

The most important thing, more than cat-5 or cat-6, is to SE-PA-RATE the cables !!

You must keep them a few centimeters away from the other to avoid very problematic electromagnetic interactions between the wires. Another solution when you don't have place for that is to twist the cables. It's yet prefered to separate them.

The advantage of the shield is double :
1) the EM interactions can hardly not pass through the shield, it allows placing the wires nearer from each other

2) it makes an EMI/RFI shield which screens the cable from external RF perturabtions. It is though not a real issue for speaker cables.

Just my 2c
Old 3rd September 2005, 11:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm not sure about my next project. I'm not a speaker designer, and have no electronics skills, so I'm planning to build a ProAc 2.5 clone or maybe 3 more jordans to make a fine HT (And replace the Bose Acoustimass )
Actually I'm finishing a Gainclone.

Regards
Old 3rd September 2005, 11:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Another alternative to cat-5 cable is shielded phone cable : the cross-sectional area is a little higher, and you still have the benefits of using separated conductors. It is also cheaper. If you have the choice, prefer a cable with PE insulation rather than PVC and with a real screen (copper twists or aluminium foils) rather than with a Mylar or this kind of metalized plastic film.

The most important thing, more than cat-5 or cat-6, is to SE-PA-RATE the cables !!

You must keep them a few centimeters away from the other to avoid very problematic electromagnetic interactions between the wires. Another solution when you don't have place for that is to twist the cables. It's yet prefered to separate them.

The advantage of the shield is double :
1) the EM interactions can hardly not pass through the shield, it allows placing the wires nearer from each other

2) it makes an EMI/RFI shield which screens the cable from external RF perturabtions. It is though not a real issue for speaker cables.

Just my 2c
Thanx, youyoung21147
maybe in the next project

Hide this!Advertise here!