Fostex FE167E as midrange driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2005, 01:40 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JWFokker
Actually I missed something rather important about the amp. It's 2x25W at 4ohms. It's only 2x14W at 8ohms. That's continuous average according to Tripath.
Are you talking about this amp? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
The proper way to rate an amp is x watts / channel, at rated distortion, into an eight-ohm load, both channels driven. Which makes the Sonic Impact a 5.5W amp according to the six-moons measurements.
Old 18th May 2005, 01:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They really look like Tang Bands with more xmax to me. I could be competely wrong though
Yes, you are.
They look like TBs because TB manufactured them but they are in no other way like the W4s. However, this is why I asked the efficiency question. With a low power T-amp they will not perform to their potential in a large room. As an aside, I have run them with the SI T-amp and they did surprisingly well. Well enough that I had people running in from the adjoining room to find out where the sound was coming from.
Good luck with your project. I think it'll turn out well!
Old 18th May 2005, 02:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobomber

Are you talking about this amp? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
The proper way to rate an amp is x watts / channel, at rated distortion, into an eight-ohm load, both channels driven. Which makes the Sonic Impact a 5.5W amp according to the six-moons measurements.

Not that amp. I do own that amp (currently out of commision due to a mod gone wrong). The one I'm referring to is the AMP3 from 41hz.com, which is rated for 2x25 into 4ohms and 2x14W into 8ohms. It uses the 2021B chip, whereas the Sonic Impact uses the 2024 chip. I should probably step up to the AMP1 (TA2022 based), which is rated for 2x50W into 8ohms, and also lower THD than the AMP3.

And thanks for the vote of confidence Timn8ter.
Old 18th May 2005, 04:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
No one has addressed the possiblity of removing the whizzer as part of the original post. How would you go about predicting the FR without the whizzer on a 166/167 or 206/207 ?
Old 18th May 2005, 05:33 AM   #15
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

JW,
how you been good buddy? Haven't seen you in a while, so I thought I'd drop in on this thread to see if I could help. My, my, what's all this talk about tweeters? With a Fostex "fullrange"? What's happened since our last post? A tweeter? Did you realize (just like GM pointed out also) that "fullrange" is mostly an extended range midrange, though not by too much. Mediocre bass along with rather poor treble quite often. Well thats a good start. I see you liked the pics of my "Orions" too. At least I had some positive effect on you after our last little exchange . Always glad to help of course. I thought the title of the post was rather strange, since the Fostex IS a midrange. Caught my eye. But now unto your design. Ok, so we have a 12" dipole sub going up to 150-200hz huh. My, my, that's awful close to your dipole resonance peak isn't it? Could be problematic. Might be ok though. So far so ok. But now you plan on using a Fostex FE207 8" midbass huh. For open baffle too? Took a look at that beauty @ Madisound myself. Let's see, real banana fiber cone - nice!. Sd 206cm^2, ok, Qts .26 ,ouch thats gonna need some serious eq. - probably 6db, along the lines of the W22 below. But you have lot's of power reserve right? 14w RMS. Driver looks pretty efficient (though not near as efficient as the TB Logitech uses: 112+db from 15w) Well, um, ok, we're still ok. But is that a misprint or does that say 1.5mm Xmax! For an open baffle driver! How wide of a baffle are you going to use? What's your SPL at 150-200Hz going to be? You know its Xmax (not efficiency) limited right? Did you plug those numbers into SL's excursion limited SPL xls. spreadsheet? What's your "D" going to be? What am I thinking, of course you did! I'm not so sure how this is going to work, but what the heck would I know. Maybe Timn8er has a thought on this. He seem's to favor the ol' full rangers also. How's a 1.5mm Xmax 8" fullranger going to fare OB? I try to stay away from these fullranger's (as you may have gathered from our last post). The distortion measurements get real nasty at each end of the spectrum. You know, like those nonlinear tonebursts we discussed before. But hey, you only spent like $180 for the pair. I don't think you could have found a more suitable OB midbass for that kind of money. Now as far as the 207 being down 12-15db off axis @ your 5k XO point (an 8" dia. driver won't break up much past 1k, so 5k is good) and the FT17 being down practically 0db off axis, well that might affect your polar response a wee bit, but I believe you said before that you only listen directly on axis, so again, the off axis ups and downs shouldn't matter much. I hope you have forgiven me for being such an ill-informed jerk on our last post. I must have been having a bad day. I'm sorry. It sounds like you have a rather fine system in the making here. Those Fostex drivers look killer. I can really see why people are enamored by the crossover less sound of the Fullrange, even though you seem to have two.
Hope we can be pal's now that we agree on so much more. No more of that cussing stuff. Post some pics of the whole rig when its done. I'd really love to see it.
Here's mine just in case you forgot.
My idea of "full" range.

Cheers and good luck

AJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orion hybrid 1.jpg (62.4 KB, 371 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!