Kofi Annan in: "The Full-Ranger and Swan-to" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kofi Annan in: "The Full-Ranger and Swan-to"

So the story goes, Mrs. Annan and I are relaxing on the couch. She knits, I surf the DIYAudio boards on the new Mac laptop. I'm cooler, right?!?

Anyway, she looks over my shoulder and spies the Nagaoaka Swan design and says, "Ooh!". Well, I don't know what goes in your crib, but in the Annan household that's considered a blank check. Ska-BANG!!!

So, right now I'm listening to some Fostex 206Es (in the 208EZ enclosure) using Martin King's BSC circuit through a pair of SET 2A3 monoblocks and I like what I hear. I really just want a new speaker project, but I'd like to see if I can use a driver bigger than the Fostex FE-103E for the Swan. I've seen references to Swan designs that can handle a bigger Fostex driver, but I can't seem to find the plans. Help here would be appreciated, of course.

Beyond the plans, though, I would like to know what your impressions of the enclosure are and how well it might perform with the 3.5W of output I've got.

I don't have a lot of time before Mrs. A sobers up, so I need to start buying some non-refundable parts really, really soon.

As always, your advice is directly proportional to my happiness and inversely proportional to marital bliss. Plus its really appreciated.

Kofi
Old 11th May 2005, 01:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The D-168 for the FE168 Sigma can be found in Nagaoka Tetsuo's Special Technique To Design The Original Speakers, Book 2, page 102.
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...22723&pid=1629
I've only heard the D-101 but it sounded pretty darn good to me.
Old 11th May 2005, 01:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you scroll though this page you will find a swan design for 6" drivers the d-168. Good luck!
Joe

http://homepage3.nifty.com/spida/eng-page9-1-4.htm
Old 11th May 2005, 01:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah, there too.
Old 11th May 2005, 01:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Kofi,
while things are slow at the U.N. and before the wife realizes what she has done, buy some decent 15mm (5/8th) plywood and start cutting it on the D-101a plan then call Madisound and order a pair of FE108EZ's. Don't worry about the size (thats what my wife always tells me)

Andrew
Old 11th May 2005, 03:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default swan drivers

The D101s "Super Swan" drivers (FE108ES-II) are available @ http://www.eifl.co.jp
Good people to deal with, but it took nearly three weeks for them to get from Japan to US.

I'm really amazed at just how good these little 4" guys sound, just breaking in. They're still open baffles, hopefully I'll have time to finish the swan cabs soon...

robert
Old 11th May 2005, 07:45 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: swan drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos
but it took nearly three weeks for them to get from Japan to US.
3 weeks isn't bad at all... sometimes it takes that long or longer just to get something to the US.

dave
Old 11th May 2005, 01:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

For those who do not yet have book series, "Nagaoka Tetsuo's Special Technique To Design The Original Speakers," it is a wonderful set of books. Do not be put off by the fact that they are in Japanese. All of the pertinent info is decipherable.

You will be completely consumed by the the first week that you get them. (madisound.com)
Old 11th May 2005, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: swan drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
3 weeks isn't bad at all...
dave
Agreed!
Didnít mean to sound condescending, just informative.
I was impressed with their service.
My credit card waffled back and forth on accepting charges because it was out of the ordinary for me to charge that much money, and to a company out of the country.
Koji at EIFL stayed in touch via eMail throughout the transaction and was very helpful.
I highly recommend the drivers AND doing business with EIFL corporation.
Robert
Old 11th May 2005, 05:51 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: swan drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos
I was impressed with their service.

Koji at EIFL
My 1 direct experience with EIFL was very efficient and very enlightening. One of my early e-bay auctions -- 1 10" Rola Field Coil, that someone had put their foot thru (a very clean & repairable tear). I didn't know if it was worth anything, but Koji & another Japanese fellow bid it up to close to $200 and within 15 minutes of auction end i had a MasterCard number & a FedEx account to send it on...

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!