Kofi Annan in: "The Full-Ranger and Swan-to" - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2005, 04:50 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
maybe someone else (Andrewbee?) came up with something different.
IIRC I only have a piece of poly wadding on the rear wall of the head, BUT, I may have removed it. I would have to look but I remember putting poly along 4 walls and taking it out wall by wall as it kills the sound. You (me anyway) would think with that box shaped head you would need to dampen it but you need very little or none at all.
As someone wrote you need to experiment. My Jerico horns took lots of damping experiments to get right and had me frustrated for days because until I got it right they really sounded terrible.

I do not have any other damping in the 101's, I love them just the way they are and hope they will get even better with time.

On a side note.
Night before last I was playing the D-168 Swans with the FE168es-r's. I was playing some classical pieces using my inverted gainclone now since I had to cannibalize my RH84 to build a RH807. I was not impressed at all and all I had changed was the amp to the gainclone. I have a Williamson styled EL34PP I built years ago and was about to try that when my AKSA 55 (Its a ss kit amp from Hugh Dean in Australia) called out to me saying it felt like a forlorn lover, what could I do more than hook it up?

It sounded a little better but after about 20 minutes of (fore)play I suppose it was warming up and started sounding "good" I had forgotten how nice an amp it was so I turned it up. I got into one of my "moods" at this stage and decided to see just how loudly the swans would play, it was time for one of my "tests" which means I push the D.U.T. and if it breaks then it was not meant to be.
The AKSA took hold of those voicecoils and with a vicelike grip pushed and pulled them showing them who was in charge now and the Swans took flight, showing their mettle.

I can tell you they will play loudly and will take some punishment, they make real bass and dynamics to die for.
They had something inside my projection screen tv resonating.. loudly.

I got a few "ppppllllaaaappppp" sounds from the Swans but they survived, no voicecoils thrown across the room, speaker cones pretending to be U.F.O's or anything like that.

Anyway you are proably wondering what my point is.
These speakers are very good, they play a lot louder than you would think for a 6-1/2" speaker and make real bass which for a fullrange says something. I do not know if with time they will play as well at a lower volume but they sould excellent with some power behind them.
The other side of this is the ss amp (in this case the AKSA 55 does not image as well as the tube amp nor does it possess that richness that a tube amp has.

Perhaps its time for a "better" high power PP amp. I like the circuit of the old G.E.C. 50W KT88 amp with the 12AX7 paraphase splitter at the front.
I also prefer the sound of S.E. amps.
Will I ever get off this merry-go-round of a hobby...........

Andrew
Old 14th May 2005, 07:11 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee
Only after they light the pyre with you on it and push you out to sea i'm afraid...

dave
Old 15th May 2005, 12:38 AM   #23
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee

Only after they light the pyre with you on it and push you out to sea i'm afraid...

dave
Dave,
Dan Wiggins and Kevin Haskins tried to do that to me, luckily I was able to get to my pocket knife in time:^)
Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 15th May 2005, 02:30 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
Dan Wiggins and Kevin Haskins tried to do that to me, luckily I was able to get to my pocket knife in time:^)

i love it when someone can McGyver their way out of something

dave
Old 1st June 2005, 01:15 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ordered the 108EZs today from Madisound. Hopefully they'll arrive before the weekend. I think I'll try and elevate them to ear level with a small stand.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. I have a friend helping me with the construction this weekend. Maybe we'll take some photos of the project as it happens and post to my .mac webspace.

Hail yeah.

Kofi
Old 1st June 2005, 03:10 AM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kofi Annan
post to my .mac webspace.
What is your .mac handle?

dave
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:30 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Whew! That was fast. Got the 108EZs today. Ordered on Tuesday, got 'em on Thursday. That's service.

Thanks Madisound!

Project will be underway this weekend.

Kofi
Old 4th June 2005, 12:09 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Here's a classy splash photo of the 108EZs I got yesterday. Hey-- I wasn't a UN Secretary General all my life! I worked at Macy's in high school!

Kofi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108ez-splash.jpg (34.6 KB, 405 views)
Old 4th June 2005, 12:10 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here's a close up. I dropped the brightness in Photoshop so you'd be able to see the super groovy foam suround.

Foam surround?!? Mint! Total panic!

I never get tired of saying hyperbolic parabaloid either. Go ahead, ask my what my favorite shape is! I'll tell ya!

Kofi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108ez-driver.jpg (54.1 KB, 390 views)
Old 4th June 2005, 12:24 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah-- and a question. I know I can build the Swan D101a with the 108EZs, but can I also build the D101-S Super Swan? I think I can, but what would be the advantage of the a versus the S enclosure?

Thoughts?

Kofi

Hide this!Advertise here!