WR125ST quadpole? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2005, 12:59 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
Tim Forman, was kind enough to let me listen to a pair of WR125STs in a TMM combination
You out visiting the left coast?

dave
Old 12th May 2005, 01:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You out visiting the left coast?
I'm actually from Washington state, and all my family is still out there. I usually take most of December and January off of work and spend time with my brother in Seattle, and my parents in central Washington. I'm a west coast guy at heart. Hoping to move back that way at some point.
Joe
Old 13th May 2005, 12:34 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm scrapping the idea of a quadpole WR125ST. Too many question marks for a novice like me to handle. Thanks for your input.
Old 13th May 2005, 04:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobomber
I'm scrapping the idea of a quadpole WR125ST. Too many question marks for a novice like me to handle. Thanks for your input.

Why not just try it? If it doesn`t work, rebuild it with a different config.

Make two different sets of front baffles, one pair MTM and one pair MMT, and try both options.
Test them with the rear MM`s fullrange, or rolled off if you don`t like the sound.

Regards,
Peter
Old 21st May 2005, 02:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think I figured out a better way to do a sealed quadpole wide-range design with the WR125ST.

The front and rear mid-woofs can be mounted isobarically. You still have the bipole for BSC, and you lose the problematic MTM on the front. The mids could either be crossed over to a tweeter at 4-6kHz, or run full-range with a supertweeter. F3 = 70 Hz in a 32l sealed box, Q=.71

I'll either do this or another design I'm obsessing over with a JX53. I'll know which in the next few weeks.
Old 21st May 2005, 05:50 PM   #16
tg3 is offline tg3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
I'm actually from Washington state, and all my family is still out there.
A Northwest guy banished to North Carolina.

You must have been bad.
Old 21st May 2005, 07:02 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobomber
The front and rear mid-woofs can be mounted isobarically. You still have the bipole for BSC, and you lose the problematic MTM on the front. The mids could either be crossed over to a tweeter at 4-6kHz, or run full-range with a supertweeter. F3 = 70 Hz in a 32l sealed box, Q=.71
Isobarik up into the midrange is problematic... in the region where the distance from the front driver to the back driver is in the same as the length of the frequency being reproduced you get a ripple caused (starting with a big suckout followed by a big paeak) from the reflections inside the isobarik chamber.

dave
Old 23rd May 2005, 02:21 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tg3

A Northwest guy banished to North Carolina.

You must have been bad.

whoa, whoa... "banished"....that makes it all sound pretty extreme. On extended leave of absence maybe...

Joe
Old 23rd May 2005, 02:04 PM   #19
konut is offline konut  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Isobarik up into the midrange is problematic... in the region where the distance from the front driver to the back driver is in the same as the length of the frequency being reproduced you get a ripple caused (starting with a big suckout followed by a big paeak) from the reflections inside the isobarik chamber.

dave
The distance from the front to back of the WR125 is 2.75" which coresponds to 4900hz. It seems a 4khz crossover would work depending on the size of the peak after the suckout.
Is there a way to calculate the peak planet10? This probably wouldnt matter if you use a 4th order crossover. Does this make sense, or am I off base here?
Old 23rd May 2005, 07:53 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by konut
The distance from the front to back of the WR125 is 2.75" which coresponds to 4900hz. It seems a 4khz crossover would work depending on the size of the peak after the suckout.
Is there a way to calculate the peak planet10? This probably wouldnt matter if you use a 4th order crossover. Does this make sense, or am I off base here?
I've seen the math, it involves an even fraction of the distance, but the details allude me... the reflection has to travel to the back of the enclosure and be out of phase with the front of the driver for the 1st dip -- 1950 Hz and then in phase for the peak -- 4900 (this assumes the reflection doesn't reverse the phase -- my brain is mush this AM), so an XO that takes advantgae of the 1st dip would really be as high as you'd want to go. Other than this FR deviation, an isobarik mid sounds wonderfully boxless... and we do know that Linn's Sara was wuite decent & it's XO was up near 3 k with an 8" KEF B200, so there have to be tricks to help sort the probelm.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!