New WR125ST TL design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of the three you've listed I would guess the Hiquphon would be the easiest to work with. There is another thread that you already know where ABS is using the DX19. As for the GS2 you have to decide if you want to work with a ribbon or not. I chose the FT207D because of it's smooth extended highs, shielding for AV use and the fact that I was working well above it's 5kHz Fs.

Here's my 2nd order XO solution.

Tweeter:
R1 = 5 ohm
C1 = 1.0uF
L1 = .5mH

2- WR125S in parallel:
L1 = 2mH
C2 = 2.2uF

This results in balanced bass and mids to 5kHz then a gentle rise begins extending to the limits of the tweeter. A larger R1 can be used to reduce this rise or even better would be variable resistor. I tried different values and settled on 5R because I liked the way it sounded. With room reinforcement of the bass it ends up being somewhat of a BBC curve.

cool, how is the Fostex tweeter by the way? Turns out its not as expensive as I thought, but there's still some stiff competition in that price range. I may give it a shot though, really like the concept of this design, especially the bipole in larger rooms.

One thing I like to find in a tweeter is good extension. There's too many mid-priced tweeters that start to roll off before 20k. I guess that's fine if you're not looking for much above 15k and you need a low Fs tweeter. The Fostex is rated to 40k (which is worthless to me but it makes my cats crazy) which results in excellent reproduction of ambient sounds in recordings, such as live jazz recordings, etc.. The other thing I like is good off axis performance. For under $40 the Fostex gave me what I was looking for. With a 5k Fs you'd better have a good mid-range driver though. Another tweeter I like is the SEAS Excel T25C-003 however, it is 2x the price of the Fostex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.