CSS Driver Idea - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2005, 01:12 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
100 litres, 50 litres, 10 litres, 0.25 cuft vented as on the spec sheet. (MacSpeakerz, factory specs)

50 & 100 are not much different Q less than 0.7

dave
The bipole floorstander could also be sealed and likely produce similar results.
Old 6th May 2005, 05:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you should use the Hi-Vi RT1L round planar tweeter. It would be too cool to have both a tweeter and a mid-woof with copper phase plugs. ;~)
I agree, I wish somebody would try out this tweeter to see how it sounds....it looks interesting.....
Old 6th May 2005, 06:32 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CSS Driver Idea

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobomber
think you should use the Hi-Vi RT1L round planar tweeter. It would be too cool to have both a tweeter and a mid-woof with copper phase plugs. ;~)
This one?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...46&rak=297-400

Click the image to open in full size.

no phase plug on that

dave
Old 6th May 2005, 06:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Nope, it's this one.....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=297-403

Old 6th May 2005, 07:20 PM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdvideo
Nope, it's this one.....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=297-403

That would be interesting, but i could almost add an extra midwoof for the price of that

dave
Old 6th May 2005, 10:21 PM   #26
ABS is offline ABS  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been working with the DX19 tweeter mated to the WR125S and having decent success in developing my x-over. It really sounds quite good!
Old 6th May 2005, 10:43 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABS
I've been working with the DX19 tweeter mated to the WR125S and having decent success in developing my x-over. It really sounds quite good!
How are you crossing over (slope, frequency)?
Old 7th May 2005, 04:03 AM   #28
ABS is offline ABS  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a number of posts related to this topic in this thread:

just ordered my CSS 4.5" XBL wideranges... who else?

Also, I am using SpeakerWorkshop for modeling so I don't have precise x-over points to share due to the optimization routines. At a high level, the woofer has a 2nd order x-over between 3-4k and the tweeter is using a 1st order x-over up around 12k. I am taking a minimalistic approach to the x-over design (lowest feasible x-over order), but I am still using impedance compensation circuitry.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 10th May 2005, 01:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I like the looks of this tower with the narrow front and small overall footprint. But while the performance of this design is likely quite pleasing, it can be even better. With a change or two, the overall performance can be improved.

Notice that the frequency response graph tails down about 3 dB below 5-600 Hz. This can be improved with baffle step compensation. BSC would flatten the overall performance.

Furthermore, the roughness in the upper part of the response is caused by interaction between the two woofers (at frequencies beyond one wavelength center to center spacing between these drivers). This can be fixed if the woofers were attenuated by an inductor and the crossover network adjusted to bring the tweeter in a little sooner.

Jim
Old 10th May 2005, 11:10 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I have a pair WR125s with the Hi-Vi TN28 and was planning on adding a woofer and the Hi-Vi RT1L, but am deciding against it because I'm hoping for GB on the Vifa ring radiators instead.

I wanted to try the RT1L because I have heard such great thing about the other ring radiators out there. I was guessing that this would be able to compete the vifas. I searched the internet for those speakers and could find very little information on them. I did not find anyone else to even try those speakers.
The little Hi-Vi B3N & B3S have made a big hit and the Tn28 is a mediocre tweeter, but I'd say good for $13 and I think Jason likes them too. I say try something new.

Josh

Hide this!Advertise here!