CSS Driver Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CSS Driver Idea

Originally posted by audiobomber
think you should use the Hi-Vi RT1L round planar tweeter. It would be too cool to have both a tweeter and a mid-woof with copper phase plugs. ;~)

This one?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=297-400&DID=7&raid=46&rak=297-400

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

no phase plug on that

dave

I've got a number of posts related to this topic in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42653&highlight=

Also, I am using SpeakerWorkshop for modeling so I don't have precise x-over points to share due to the optimization routines. At a high level, the woofer has a 2nd order x-over between 3-4k and the tweeter is using a 1st order x-over up around 12k. I am taking a minimalistic approach to the x-over design (lowest feasible x-over order), but I am still using impedance compensation circuitry.

Regards,

Andrew

I like the looks of this tower with the narrow front and small overall footprint. But while the performance of this design is likely quite pleasing, it can be even better. With a change or two, the overall performance can be improved.

Notice that the frequency response graph tails down about 3 dB below 5-600 Hz. This can be improved with baffle step compensation. BSC would flatten the overall performance.

Furthermore, the roughness in the upper part of the response is caused by interaction between the two woofers (at frequencies beyond one wavelength center to center spacing between these drivers). This can be fixed if the woofers were attenuated by an inductor and the crossover network adjusted to bring the tweeter in a little sooner.

Jim

I have a pair WR125s with the Hi-Vi TN28 and was planning on adding a woofer and the Hi-Vi RT1L, but am deciding against it because I'm hoping for GB on the Vifa ring radiators instead.

I wanted to try the RT1L because I have heard such great thing about the other ring radiators out there. I was guessing that this would be able to compete the vifas. I searched the internet for those speakers and could find very little information on them. I did not find anyone else to even try those speakers.
The little Hi-Vi B3N & B3S have made a big hit and the Tn28 is a mediocre tweeter, but I'd say good for $13 and I think Jason likes them too. I say try something new.

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.