Fostex 166e BLH Tweeter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2005, 05:37 PM   #11
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I went with the FT17 and it does add some sparkle; however, I'm not sure just yet if they're able to keep up with the drivers. I used a 0.47 uF Auricap (Fostex recommends 0.33 - 0.68) and although they are slightly used caps, they may require some additional break in. The tweets seem to need to be pointed at the listening position with the horn pointed straight ahead. At some point in the future, I think it would be worthwhile to try a more sensitive tweeter.
Donīt draw any conclusions too fast.
You might wanna try a whole bunch of different caps first and also with additional resistance.
Example:
If you like a 0.68uF-cap with your FT-17H (like me) you could try with a bigger cap but some resistance in series.
Gives a different signature than just with a cap.
Old 18th May 2005, 02:34 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default More Capacitance

Dave & Jens,
I was surprised to find just how much difference a bit more capacitance made in this case. I was digging through some of my excess stuff and bumped into a 1.0uF Bennic, so I thought I'd drop it into the circuit on one speaker and see what happened. It ended up making a pretty amazing difference. Since the other Bennic was temporarily soldered into a crossover on an array I'm also playing with, I paralleled the two 0.47uF Auricaps on the other horn. That sounded pretty good too. Now I'm convinced that the FT17 can work really well combo'd up with this horn. Thinking I'll probably play with some additional caps to find out what I like best. I've got some 1.0uF Auricaps inbound for yet another project that I may just have to install on the horns instead. Thanks for the recommendations and encouragement.

Hide this!Advertise here!