Fostex FE126 vs. FE127: the sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fostex fe126 vs. fe127: the sound

Hi DIY'ers.
I've played around with both the fe126 and the fe127 for a few hundred hours (break-in) in 10.5 liter BR with various port lengths and notch filters - this is my general experiences (hope they are useful):

fe126: this is the "sharp knife" - extremely detailed, dynamic - engaging - and causing listening fatigue for most people. But I can't listen passively - they drag me into the music. Playing with notch filters only results in a more boring sound, IMHO. This is a 100% monitor, but with engagement - the music pops out of the speaker with lots of air. The sound is although on the lean side: instruments don't have their natural "body" - but start and roll off a little too fast.

Best performance: nothing worthy below 100 Hz. I consider mating them with a bandpass sub (=fullrange without any passive components).

fe127: "the true speaker" - instruments and voices do have a natural "body". In a 15 liter BR, f0 to 70 Hz, f3 at 59 Hz. You can easily listen to the fe127 without listening fatigue - the sound is delicious - but a bit too polished in my opinion (not as involving as the fe126).

Best performance: 15 liter BR.

Remember: both speakers are very revealing, meaning you have to be aware of proper matching (amp, cables etc.). I've experienced very different results, just changing the signal cable.

I hope the above can help you decide which driver to use. What's your experience with fe1266/fe127?

Best regards
Jesper/www.innowatt.dk

Unless you need the magnetic shielding of the FE127E the FE126E is going to be the better performer, however, because of the rising frequency response it's going to need more than a standard BR. Probably best in a rear-loaded horn, second choice would be a transmission line. The FE127E would also benefit from use in a transmission line rather than a BR.

Re: Fostex fe126 vs. fe127: the sound

Juspur said:
Hi DIY'ers.
causing listening fatigue for most people.. The sound is although on the lean side: instruments don't have their natural "body" - but start and roll off a little too fast.

imaging "body" has a lot to due with the amp used, in particular what the output impeadance is (though freq. extension is also a "culprit"). Additionally, output impeadance and the high freq. rising response is likely the cause of listener fatigue.

for the rising response just aim the drivers "inward" crossing in front of the listener aprox. 20 degrees off-axis (..this also provides other benefits).

for an increase in extension use a woofer or a powered sub.

a tube amp with 16 ohm output taps should do the trick for the impeadance issue (or a solid-state "current" amp).

I try again

Okay, I'll try again: Have you actually HEARD the drivers (and in what configurations - BR, TL's or others - in comparative setups)?

How do you DESCRIBE the SOUND (saying the one is better than the other, doesn't actually help other people choosing a driver - if not the sound of the driver is described, i.e. lean, fat, varm, neutral...)

Best regards
Jesper

I heard the Fe127e of a friend in a TQWT and it is a very good speaker for the price. The sound is natural and detailed, and F3 is around 65Hz in this enclosure (better is possible).

I'd just say they are not linear enough in the high frequencies and the very light membrane used sounds a little agressive, it's a "paper sound". Hearing them for long is quite tiring.

Though it's a good speaker, it's not as detailed and neutral as my FX-120, but they cost much more !

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Having had the opportunity to try all four under identical
conditions, I find that the FE167 is to the FE166E as the FE166E
is to the FE166ES-R as the FE166ES-R is to the Lowther DX55.
There are other effects, but as the magnetic field gets a little
more powerful you notice this increase is detail and attack,
and under some circumstances it can be fatiguing, particularly
if the musical material is flawed.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.