Fostex FX-120 : the pure Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my FX-120 for one week in their TQWT now, and I begin to make them work at a correct level.

It is simply the best fullrange driver and even the best speaker I have ever heard.

The TQWT plan was given me by a sound engineer who told me it was a pure music reproducer he could hear in a speaker shop in France. I built it for a friend with Fe127e speakers and the result was already very good.

I begun to make them work last week at very low SPL in order to break them in progressively. The first thing I thought when I made them work for the first time is that they were natural. Nothing was shocking in the reproduction. I just felt the bass response was a little bit weak, because the suspension was new, so it was hard.

And today, I listened my favorite musics after 12hours of break-in... Simply wonderful ! The sound is perfectly clear, the voice is pure but the most impressive is the details level : the voices are definetely "breathing", and you can hear in the treble every little things that go away with normal speakers : the nails of the guitarist, the irregularities on the drums and cymbals. Like the guy who said it, "it reminds us of piano is a percussion instrument" because you simply hear everything, the music flows in your ears like water. Bass extension is correct and the bass delivered by the TQWT really gives another dimension of the sound, considering the small size of the driver.

The imaging is perfect as the driver is a real full range.
Bass are not really deep, the response is flat from 70 to 19000Hz, but 40Hz is clearly audible. This TQWT provides a fast and natural bass, not suffering of "slow effects" and flow noises like a bass reflex.

One thing concerning the driver : the chassis is impressively thick (6mm), and even beautiful. The magnet is not shielded but almost as large as the speaker itself. It's surrounded by rubber, I suppose it damps out vibrations and treble backwaves. The weight is enormous : 1.32kg !
There is something I really don't like on it : the suspension is made of foam. Even if this is a quality foam, soft, with close and wide bubbles, it remains foam and I'm afraid it could become dust in ten years :whazzat:

Last thing : Fostex has unfortunately stopped the production of the F and FX series since August 2004 (the guy from the shop where I bought them told it me) and these series won't be replaced as far. I had chance to get them in Germany for a correct price (220€, in france they cost 260€ the pair) as it was the guy's last pair.

So I hope it will help people choose between different drivers, as very few persons own these jowels.

I will probably change this small TQWT for another that goes down to 40Hz.

Here are some photos : http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/DSCF1501.JPG
http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/DSCF1508.JPG
http://youyoung21147.site.voila.fr/DSCF1727.JPG

Anyone know where to find FX 200 drivers?. F 200A looks nice, but its rather more than Id like to spend.

Madisound site says F 120A is discontinued limited quantity availible. No such comments on FX 120 and F200A. They dont seem to carry FX200, already all sold out?

james_b said:
Congratulations, they look very well made. You should try listening to them with a tube amplifier, you might like them even more.

I almost spent all my pocket money in these speakers so I think a new amplifier is not for tomorrow. I have an old Pioneer SX-626 which works with discrete components so, according to my uncle it's a good amp (27W R.M.S).

Tweeker said:
Anyone know where to find FX 200 drivers?. F 200A looks nice, but its rather more than Id like to spend.

Madisound site says F 120A is discontinued limited quantity availible. No such comments on FX 120 and F200A. They dont seem to carry FX200, already all sold out?

On Fostex's website, the FX200 is already in the "discontinued" section so you can be sure not to find it anymore unless a shop has it.

The F200A is a speaker I dream I had. You can get 27Hz in a TQWT. But the problem is the price, 400€ each !

I finalized my install this week end and put some home-made twisted cable although I don't feel a big difference, as I need very small lengthes from the amp to the speakers.

I ran the speakers a little louder and they sound really amazing
It's the first time in my life I feel being "inside" the music, and not facing somehow a "veil" between the speakers and my ears. As I told it, imaging is perfect and the bass provided by the TQWT is fast and natural after adjusting internal damping. I cannot describe how wonderful it is. No passive filtering, no mutliple drivers out of phase, good home-made connectors and drivers that are almost perfect. S.P.L is not a limitation, as the Fostex can deliver 100dB.
Another impressive thing, underlining it's a good driver, is the displacement in the bass : you feel deep bass but the membrane almost doesn't move ! We are far from the 2mm Xmax ! It's very different from the Fe127 which goes forth and back dangerousely !

To conclude I suppose the FX120 is the best 12cm speaker, and I'd also like trying the Supravox 135LB which looks perfect too. I hesitated very much between them and I choosed the Fostex because I were sure to get something very good, as I had a point of view on it.

I suppose the Pioneer is outdated, and it has a quite high 1% THD @ 25W but I don't need such a power.

I'm building a small MOSFET 25W amp for a friend so I'll test it on my speakers. If I begin to change all the electronics, then I also have to buy a good CD player as I use my laptop computer as media player. It has a correct soundcard that delivers a strong output voltage, likely to a line output, and that sounds much better than my Sony walkman.

I plan to build a new amp based on MOSFETs that would deliver 50W and would pass continous current, but it's not for tomorrow, because transformers are quite exxpensive.

I go on a schooltrip this afternoon so I won't be back before one week :)

Outdated amp

youyoung21147 said:
I plan to build a new amp based on MOSFETs that would deliver 50W and would pass continous current, but it's not for tomorrow, because transformers are quite exxpensive.

I go on a schooltrip this afternoon so I won't be back before one week :)

Yes, the Pioneer is outdated, though it's been a competent little amp in its days. Tubes would give a new life to your Fostex, and you don't need a 50 watts amp with lots of current to drive these efficient drivers. Being short of money, the next best thing would be a beer budget project like the rightly famous Gainclone. Have a look on the Chipamp forum here, you won't be disapointed, and you'll be amazed at how a $50 project can sound.. (Go in a flea market and get the parts from a used amp..)

Beau bonjour du Québec!

Sylvain

F200A and F120A availability

In Canada, these drivers seem to be still available, but gee, they are pricey!! :hot:

The F120A sell for $325.00 Usdollars..

And the F200 sell for $875.00 ... a pair, of course..

I really can't afford these famous drivers.. Back to Fe 103 dreams.. unless I sell one pair of my extra Tannoys.. Humm.. would I do that? don't know.

Sylvain

I saw the sound engineer who gave me the plans for the TQWT yesterday, and he told me the speakers sounded very good but that I needed a better soundcard (I don't have a CD player) and mainly a new amplifier, because the sound suffered of noise and I feel like they could give a better result.

I should first open the amp and check all the connections that are really s****** (a little selector chooses the speaker output and I suppose the current goes thru it) and emit awful scratches everytime I move them.

I bought components to make High-end line cables because the ones I use are cheap and old. I'm waiting for them now !

A friend and I are building a 25W MosFET amp for him and I will try it on my speakers, naturally, but I'm affraid the 12 y-o design might be outdated.
Does a chip amp really give good results ? People seem to like the TDA7294 very well and an DIY audio shop in France sells a kit based on it that received awards. I really don't know what to think about them

Are chipamps worthwhile? Yess!!!

I have been using all kind of amps over the years, from vintage ones like the Quad II, Marantz 8B, to Naim, Meridian, A&R Cambridge and Audio Research. Now I am using mainly Single Ended 300B amp to drive my Tannoys. All this to tell you that just for fun, I have built a "Gainclone" amp around the LM-3875 chip and up to now, it is among the most musical amps I've heard, whatever the price.

And you can build one for near to nothing, providing you use some old cheap amp to use the power supply parts. Chips only cost a few dollars.

Have a look at the Peter Daniel's site. www.audiosector.com it will give you an idea of how the amp looks and they sell a complete kit for $50, not including power supply

Sylvain

how it does compare?..

Well, I have put alot of work and money on this 300B amp, and I just love it. Bartolucci output transformers, Golden Dragon tubes and so on, but to be honnest, the Gainclone gets you 90% of the 300B magic. It is "very" transparent and 3D, and detailed. The first few days, it was a bit "rasor sharp", but the more it broke in, the more it became warm and musical, without being muddled or veiled. It's outrageously good. But.. it likes easy load like full range drivers, but won't be happy with tormented impedance loads like complex and innefficient speakers, like say.. B&W.

Have look at Brian's gallery, and see how these guys have turned out their own Gainclone. http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc

And you can go to Decibel Dungeon for a start.
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gaincloneindex.html#top1

Have a look over there, and open your appetite!

This truly is a lovely amp.. Certainly the best audio bargain on the planet right now.

Sylvain

congrats for these nice speakers - i also truly appreciated listening to the FX120 at la maison du haut parleur!

but they used them with a tweeter. apparently, you use them fullrange, so how are the highs?

+ i suppose the next step, after buiding your amp, is to add a sub:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.