Fostex FX-120 : the pure Full Range - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2005, 07:24 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
it has a quite high 1% THD @ 25W
keep in mind that that number without an accompanying spectrum graph is close to meaningless in terms of judging sound quality.

dave
Old 29th April 2005, 06:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweeker
Anyone know where to find FX 200 drivers?. F 200A looks nice, but its rather more than Id like to spend.

Madisound site says F 120A is discontinued limited quantity availible. No such comments on FX 120 and F200A. They dont seem to carry FX200, already all sold out?

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/fo...stexFX200.html
Old 1st May 2005, 04:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Outdated amp

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
I plan to build a new amp based on MOSFETs that would deliver 50W and would pass continous current, but it's not for tomorrow, because transformers are quite exxpensive.

I go on a schooltrip this afternoon so I won't be back before one week
Yes, the Pioneer is outdated, though it's been a competent little amp in its days. Tubes would give a new life to your Fostex, and you don't need a 50 watts amp with lots of current to drive these efficient drivers. Being short of money, the next best thing would be a beer budget project like the rightly famous Gainclone. Have a look on the Chipamp forum here, you won't be disapointed, and you'll be amazed at how a $50 project can sound.. (Go in a flea market and get the parts from a used amp..)

Beau bonjour du Québec!

Sylvain
Old 1st May 2005, 04:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default F200A and F120A availability

In Canada, these drivers seem to be still available, but gee, they are pricey!!

The F120A sell for $325.00 Usdollars..

And the F200 sell for $875.00 ... a pair, of course..

I really can't afford these famous drivers.. Back to Fe 103 dreams.. unless I sell one pair of my extra Tannoys.. Humm.. would I do that? don't know.

Sylvain
Old 1st May 2005, 08:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
I saw the sound engineer who gave me the plans for the TQWT yesterday, and he told me the speakers sounded very good but that I needed a better soundcard (I don't have a CD player) and mainly a new amplifier, because the sound suffered of noise and I feel like they could give a better result.

I should first open the amp and check all the connections that are really s****** (a little selector chooses the speaker output and I suppose the current goes thru it) and emit awful scratches everytime I move them.

I bought components to make High-end line cables because the ones I use are cheap and old. I'm waiting for them now !

A friend and I are building a 25W MosFET amp for him and I will try it on my speakers, naturally, but I'm affraid the 12 y-o design might be outdated.
Does a chip amp really give good results ? People seem to like the TDA7294 very well and an DIY audio shop in France sells a kit based on it that received awards. I really don't know what to think about them
Old 1st May 2005, 06:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Are chipamps worthwhile? Yess!!!

I have been using all kind of amps over the years, from vintage ones like the Quad II, Marantz 8B, to Naim, Meridian, A&R Cambridge and Audio Research. Now I am using mainly Single Ended 300B amp to drive my Tannoys. All this to tell you that just for fun, I have built a "Gainclone" amp around the LM-3875 chip and up to now, it is among the most musical amps I've heard, whatever the price.

And you can build one for near to nothing, providing you use some old cheap amp to use the power supply parts. Chips only cost a few dollars.

Have a look at the Peter Daniel's site. www.audiosector.com it will give you an idea of how the amp looks and they sell a complete kit for $50, not including power supply

Sylvain
Old 1st May 2005, 07:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Nice ! that's just what I need : a cheap but musical amp. Compared to your 300B tube amp, how does the Gainclone sounds ? Is it detailed, sweet, sharp, cold ? Does it have a good damping factor though 12cm drivers don't really need it ?

I'm searching more infos on the gainclone because I'm really interested !
Old 2nd May 2005, 04:26 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default how it does compare?..

Well, I have put alot of work and money on this 300B amp, and I just love it. Bartolucci output transformers, Golden Dragon tubes and so on, but to be honnest, the Gainclone gets you 90% of the 300B magic. It is "very" transparent and 3D, and detailed. The first few days, it was a bit "rasor sharp", but the more it broke in, the more it became warm and musical, without being muddled or veiled. It's outrageously good. But.. it likes easy load like full range drivers, but won't be happy with tormented impedance loads like complex and innefficient speakers, like say.. B&W.

Have look at Brian's gallery, and see how these guys have turned out their own Gainclone. http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc

And you can go to Decibel Dungeon for a start.
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gaincloneindex.html#top1

Have a look over there, and open your appetite!

This truly is a lovely amp.. Certainly the best audio bargain on the planet right now.

Sylvain
Old 2nd May 2005, 08:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for these links I saw searching with Google, but there are so many that it's a little complicated to know which circuit is the best because it seems there are different ones, inverting and non-inverting, and some are not totally based on the LM3875 datasheet circuit.

Which circuit do you use ?
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:02 AM   #20
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

congrats for these nice speakers - i also truly appreciated listening to the FX120 at la maison du haut parleur!

but they used them with a tweeter. apparently, you use them fullrange, so how are the highs?

+ i suppose the next step, after buiding your amp, is to add a sub

Hide this!Advertise here!