ping Moray James: Hybird Karlson/TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Moray,

I saw some pictures of your hybird Karlson/TL loading for FR drivers...

Could you please elaborate more on this design...? I'm particularly interrested with it's small size enclosure... for FR drivers (which usually need big sized horn or MLTL loading...)

REgards,
---
David

David: I have been useing a somewhat modified line program very similar to the Alpha Line system designed by Rick Schults. I think that Dave Dlugos has a version on his site. I am most concerned with the Fs of the driver and pick a line length with the program. I usually make the line cross section about 80% of Sd. I damp at the driver end and along two sides of the line length. This keeps the line resonance high which is what I want. Then the overall line Q is controlled by useing either high density fiberglass or open cell foam at the terminus of the line. I run much shorter tapers than normal which usually stop at the bottom edge of the driver. I find that this combined with a curved reflector minimises the reflection problems often caused by the front coupler. I try to keep the cabinet width as narrow as possible which results in higher aspect cabinets which is good for bass response. You may well need to take into account the coupler length in the overall line length. I have been including the coupler length up to the bottom edge of the driver and have had good results. Don't ovet damp the line as a high Q resonance is necessary to make up for the fact that the line is so under sized. Good luck and keep posting to appraise us of your results. Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.