MTM on a Voigt Pipe ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a Parker 98 kit. While it was in route I learned that they are weak on bass in the recommended BR, so I thought I'd try something nice and simple like a straight voigt pipe. Would there be any detriment or benefit of having 2 drivers in a voigt? Might it help smooth the lumpiness in the bass that I've read about without excessive stuffing?

Also, is there any reason not to go TMM? There's no XO except a cap on the tweet and the woofers have 2 squared edges, so I think they'd look much better with the woofs together.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Yes, you can use an MTM to deal with pipe resonances somewhat, but you probably will wind up with too wide a span. In a ML-TL, either a bipole or placing an MTM's tweeter at the optimum point along the line works well.

As long as the distance from the centerline of the tweeter and the split between the LF drivers doesn't exceed 1 WL of the XO point, then you're good to go with a TMM. That, or you sit well into the farfield where they will all blend into a virtual point source........

GM

Thanks GM,

The thing about these parkers is the only XO is a 2uf cap on the tweet, so there's got to be some significant overlap. I guess that means MTM is going to give the best results. The guys on the Decware forum swear by the Parkers, so I figure I'll give them a shot and see how far this 2 watt, low impedance loving amp will take me without a horn or line array.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.