Tang band back loaded horn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello

i was wondering if any of the 4" tangand drivers and partsexpress would be suitable for a back loaded horn.

horns are something i know very little about and i'd really like to build one to have something to work with....

would any of them work in either the buschhorn or the zhorn? i'd like one thats relatively compact like the ones i just mentioned...

any ideas?

I have a pair of the recomended fostex back horns for FE-103 using TB W4-656S drivers.
These work OK, but the throat area and compression chamber volume aren't ideal.
I think with a reduction in chamber volume (by about 1/3?) and a similar reduction in horn throat area, these could be very good.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the 656 can be made to work well in a rear loaded horn; I just haven't succeeded yet; too many other things keeping me busy...

Have put the TangBand 4-657s into a back horn, the zHorn. I like it well. One person did complain that there was too much bass then. I listened to it with a SET tube amp and did not find too much bass and a couple friends listen to it in this backhorn "Dakini" cabinet with cheap solid state receivers and it seems well balanced. This backhorn "Dakini" was modified to have a larger compression chamber, that is without the angle board in the compression chamber, just a rectangular chamber of 5x5x10.5". These are smooth sounding drivers.

I was just checking out frequency responses of Tangband drivers. I felt the W4-654S, vas 6.2L had better response than the W4-656S and 657S. But still had two peaks 6.5K and 12K.

I was looking at the W4-616S, this driver looks well behaved and seams the vas 5.6L is slightly smaller that of the FE103E 6.9L.

Let me know what you guys think.

yeah...

i was actually thinking about the 616...

i'd like to do the Zhorn since that would work better in my room than the buschhorn...

the main problem with that is the plans for it on their site are a little vauge...

its either the fostex horn or the zhorn so far...and the fostex looks pretty simple to build, plus this will be a good excersize working with the metric system:xeye: ....shop class has ruined me....

Re: yeah...

nerd of nerds said:
i'd like to do the Zhorn since that would work better in my room than the buschhorn...

the main problem with that is the plans for it on their site are a little vauge...

The FE103E enclosure is simple and compact.

List the link for the Zhorn you like, maybe I can make heads or tails of it.

nerd of nerds said:
the fostex looks pretty simple to build, plus this will be a good excersize working with the metric system:xeye: ....shop class has ruined me....

I don't worry to much about the metric units, I have a great converter program. As for structure, avoid having thinner materials than detailed and stick close to the valute dimensions.

http://www.audio-resolution.com/zhorn/howto.html

thats the one i was thinking of builing...i like that it has removable baffles so i can test several different drivers...

i think a lot of that zhorn uses half inch thick ply wood, which i have a lot of right now, and i think its the perfect width to start working on a zhorn soon...

the fostex one seems like it would require a lot more cutting and alot more wood...:xeye:

so it seems i'm stupid...the zhorn isn't in metric at all...i had been looking to build one a while ago and thought that it was all in metric...

yeah, i think i'm going with the zhorn, it looks like it will be the most fun to build and i have a lot of the marterials for it already...

the "plans" just seem kind of messy:xeye:

mrlots2do said:
since you have 1/2" gor for it but it might resonate

could some lining (not stuffing) fix that? if not then i'll just get some more wood tomorrow or try something else...

actually, i have been looking at some tqwt desings as well as the buschhorn...

i really like how detailed the plans for the bushhorn are and i have all the materials to buildone:)

i think its going to be the bushhorn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.