help me choose a wide range driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2005, 09:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help me choose a wide range driver

My project is envisioned as follows;

A wide range driver on an open baffle operating from about 120hz up to around 5000 hz. A tweeter will extnd the response.
Below 120hz I will use an active crossover to 2-10" woofers also on open baffle. The lowpass to woofers will be 24db and the highpass to the wide range will be 12db .

I will apply equalization to both the woofers and wide range.

Given these requirements for the wide range and the open baffle condition, are there many choices?

I was thinking about the Adire WR125, but it is only a 5" driver and I am worried about over extending at the 120hz crossover.

Do I need to consider a larger wide range driver?
Old 4th April 2005, 09:50 PM   #2
hermanv is offline hermanv  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Driver selection

As you must know there is not one correct answer to your question, cost and SPL at a minimum enter into the decision. Also higher order crossovers will allow you to push the drivers closer to their limits.

If you are not familiar with it, the LDSG (Loudspeaker Driver Selection Guide) is a spectacular resource. Here is a link.

http://ldsg.snippets.org/index.php3

Fostex and Tang Band make wide range drivers as well as the famous(infamous?) Manger. There are some conventional drivers that will just make that frequency range including a couple made by Audio Technology (not cheap).

Good luck.
Old 4th April 2005, 10:12 PM   #3
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

From what Ive read the Ciare CH250 makes a very nice OB-speaker.
Plays actually much deeper/higher than you "need" it and has a nice price.
Old 4th April 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was thinking about the Adire WR125, but it is only a 5" driver and I am worried about over extending at the 120hz crossover.
I've heard the WR125S in a dipole configuration (actually there were 4 of them) and it performed remarkably well. It has good Q for OB operation and the motor exhibits a great deal of control over the cone. With Fs at 68Hz I think it's a viable option.
Old 5th April 2005, 12:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 2nd thoughts

I know the wr125 would sound good at moderate level, but I also like to play a lot of movies LOUDLY. I did not really want to go with multiple mids. Perhaps I should look at a larger driver like an Adire Extremis and choose a lower crossover point.

OOps, now I'm in the wrong forum!
Old 5th April 2005, 12:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Perhaps I should look at a larger driver like an Adire Extremis
The Extremis is another good OB candidate, in fact, Adire even advertises it as such.

Quote:
OOps, now I'm in the wrong forum!
The line often gets blurred.
Old 5th April 2005, 01:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Do you already have the 10's ? If so why only let them go up to 120? I'm using a Fostex FE206 paired with a relatively high Qts realistic 10" of unknown parameters on a small OB. With just a coil on the woofer, I'm getting a seamless integration with the natural rolloff of the 206 which is running full range. I'd say pick drivers you like and listen to what they can do before choosing XO points and slopes. It seems like you're putting the cart before the horse to me.
Old 5th April 2005, 03:42 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The choices are myriad...

how many $$$?

what amps are you going to use?

how big a baffle?

The WR125 would be good, but the 1st thing that comes to my mind is the Visaton B200.

dave
Old 5th April 2005, 05:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I already have the 10"s - I bought some 10" Audax PR240Z0 when Madisound cleared them out. They are really subwoofers so I don't think they will go much higher but I may be wrong.
The reason I chose the 120 hz is because I was planning to use a Rane SSE35, which is a home theater equalizer that also has a 4th order lowpass function to feed stereo subwoofers. It only has 2 choices for the crossover point and 120hz is the highest. I can use the very complete bass equalizer section to level out the reponse of the 10"s and also can equalize the wide range response as well.
I will still need to highpass the wide range driver. The Rane splits the signal between stereo subwoofers lowpassed with 24db at 120hz and a full range output for satellite speakers. I was going to bi-amp so I figured I could use a low level passive xover before the amp section driving the widerange speakers. PE sells Fmods that could do this with a 2ndorder highpass, or I could cook up my own.

Using the Rane, I can equalize +/- 6db which should be enough range to adjust for a fairly smoothe response. Probably some would pooh pooh the equalizer route, but I think that eliminating passive components is going to provide an improvement in sound.
http://www.rane.com/sse35.html

Dave, that B200 looks like a very nice driver, but from 120hz to the point where I would cross to a tweeter it rises in response alot more than 6 db. How do you normally deal with this ?

Also, where would you buy Visaton in the States? and how much is it going to cost? I also like the looks of the Fostex FW208N in an 8" driver and Madisound sells these. Still, they are $160 each. I can buy a pair of the WR 125ST for less and put a tweeter in between.

I have a couple of multi channel amps that I can use. A 4 channel Adcom and a 5 channel Newcastle and I will listen to both.
Old 5th April 2005, 07:34 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark
that B200 looks like a very nice driver, but from 120hz to the point where I would cross to a tweeter it rises in response alot more than 6 db. How do you normally deal with this ?
I've seen the graphs, i've seen the EQs, but the pair i had on open baffles did not exhibit a FR that sounds like the charts look. Truly an awesome driver.

Quote:
Also, where would you buy Visaton in the States? and how much is it going to cost?
They can be had from Solen for $306 USD/pr (the pair i have on loan from Bob at CSS are available for a bit less than that -- i'm still hoping i haven't sold them by the time i can afford to buy them, but that isn't going to be soon, so best to see them off to a good home)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!