help me choose a wide range driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2005, 08:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You still have them?!!?!!

Old 5th April 2005, 09:04 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
You still have them?!!?!!

Old 6th April 2005, 07:38 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton B200

to anyone who can afford the real estate that a proper set of open baffles for these require STUNNING presence and clean bass (but not efficient enough for 2w SET )

OK for a fairly wide listening window, a horn or ribbon tweeter might be necessary. Would be really fun to mate with a pair of Heil AMT's crossed over around 8-10K? The mounting could be a bit tricky
Old 6th April 2005, 07:51 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Visaton B200

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
(but not efficient enough for 2w SET )
I don't think it was that they were not efficient enuff (they are 95 vrs 90 dB of what Chris regularily uses), but that the SET we had didn't mate all that well. The larger amp definitly played with more authority (~15W PP AB triode).

dave
Old 6th April 2005, 10:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I need to make sure that my acceptable listening window extends at least 45 deg of axis because of HT considerations and my seating. I am wondering if this limits the maximum size of the wide range driver.

OK to answer my own question I know this depends on the chosen crossover frequency if the wide range is not allowed to run to it's natural upper limits. Because I want the wide range to extend down to 120hz on an open baffle, I think all the wide range drivers with limited xmax are off the team.

In the under $100 range I have looked at;

The extremis would be an excellant candidate based on xmax, but I have heard that the frequency response above 1 k is not very smoothe, and I have not seen a response chart for off- axis to really know if I could expect to take it up to 4.5-5k

The WR125 woud be better in off axis and has a smoother freq response, but based on size of cone, I don't know if a single driver would put out the decibels required with a 2nd order highpass at 120hz. Any help or advice on this one??

My other option that I have started to look at is a Morel mw164 a 6.5" which has a high Q and a response that looks appropriate to an open baffle, and it has adequate xmax. I don't think I could take it as high, but it should be OK to 4 k using a 2nd ordr passive crossover to tweeter. I know this really does'nt qualify as full range, but should sound good on the open baffle.
http://www.morelusa.com/woofers/mw-164.htm

Another "conventional" driver I have used in the past is the Audax HM130C0 a 5.25" mid woofer and I think it has just enough xmax and will extend to at least 5k. I believe they are still available.

At the higher $ range, the B200 looks great. But I still wonder about off-axis above 5k. Even if I spend the extra dollars.

I looked at the Monacor website and their SPH 165KEP looks like a real winner, but I don't think I can buy in US.
Old 6th April 2005, 11:17 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark
The WR125 woud be better in off axis and has a smoother freq response, but based on size of cone, I don't know if a single driver would put out the decibels required with a 2nd order highpass at 120hz. Any help or advice on this one??
Because of the XBL tech in this woofer its bass capabilities are better than would be indicated by its size... its biggest drawback is that it is not all that efficient.

dave
Old 7th April 2005, 12:42 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
If the HT is using a projector and off axis is important, I would strongly suggest considering OB line arrays. It could be done quite economically using something like the $5 drivers discussed here: PE 299-145 buyout 5.25 PPcone
An array gives you a sound image to match your large video image. With power tapering you can achieve great imaging and the distance vs SPL advantage of arrays makes for a very much larger sweet spot and it makes off axis listening more balanced than is possible with ANY point source speaker. IMHO with a projected image, an OB line array is very difficult to beat and it's great an unique for music too.
Old 7th April 2005, 12:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Off-axis of the Extremis is about the same as all other 6.5" - 7" woofers; it's 95% a function of the diameter of the driver, 5% a function of cone shape, phase plugs, and the like. Don't expect ANY 6.5"/7" woofer to have good dispersion at 4 kHz at 45 degrees off axis. Simply won't happen.

FR is actually quite smooth - much of the measurements being posted about aren't really applicable to real-world applications. Nearfield measurements are NOT reflective of the real far-field performance of a driver, and in fact are not repeatable from driver to driver without a LOT of precision.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 7th April 2005, 01:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Dan,

Thanks for stopping in. How about cutting the guy in on a deal on the AV3's? They work great on OB, the small diameter with enable the array to go higher in frequency before comb filtering suppresses the HF. OB Arrays of 16-24 or more AV3's per side is something I have been wanting to try.
Old 7th April 2005, 01:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

The Audax PR240s are good up to about 500Hz, but if you only run them up to 300Hz you still have a wide choice. How about Audax PR170s? They are very nice drivers and will easily cover up to 5K, though you might need a steep crossover at that point as they break down quite quickly above that.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!