Fe166e Qwfptl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just finished my first full range speaker project. Having never built a transmission line type of enclosure I thought I would give it a try. WOW! I would have never believed that a single drive could sound so good. I guess the most shocking thing for me was the way they image. I used a pair of FE166s purchased from Madisound. I want a bit more SPL. I’m thinking about building another pair and setting them on top of each other such that there ports are opposite each other. I’m going to build a Pass class A power amp of some sort to drive them with. I toned their honking midrange down with a notch filter. Their imaging and efficiency make them a true sonic marvel.

They are still in the ugly looking state i.e. no paint or finishing. Once I get the first couple of coats on I'll post a picture or two. I'm looking forward to their loosening up a bit. I drove them with a 55 Hz signal for a few days prior to putting them in the enclosures. I'm already getting the shop ready for a second pair.
Will get a few more hours on them this weekend.....

Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures .... The filter is used to tone down the midrange honk .... It’s centered around 2.2K. I added some paint to help with the wife factor. I'm going to do a dual driver version next. I have said it once ... but I can't believe how nice they sound.

Attachments

• fe166a.jpg
    fe166a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 722
FE166Es Ducted Port

I moved the fe166s to a bass reflex enclosure today. My initial impressions are quite favorable. Their bass response seems a bit less flabby. I might say tight and punchy. They still image like no other cone speaker I have ever heard. I would still like to do a dual driver version to move more air. I like my music to be dynamic! Have also been playing with the thought of getting a pair of fe206s for their larger xmax, but have heard they are lacking a bit on the highend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.