Fostex Full Range Wall O Sound - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2005, 10:59 PM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Quote:
.....what do you guys all hear in these things that I'm somehow immune to?
You're not alone, I've asked the same Q on some occasions when folks are waxing eloquent over one of the few models I've auditioned.

Quote:
I have a pair of horns with Radio Shack 1197s in, which are apparently Fostex 103s in a different box......
I know it's stamped on the back, but they quit selling the 'real deal' decades ago, opting instead for a cheaper design that just uses the magnet assembly. They sound nothing alike either, though Dave's (plant 10) doping and phase plug tweaks puts them a notch up on the current FE103E IMO.

Quote:
I have noticed that those that like them tend to be a little, erm, more mature, so I wonder if the high end roll off in hearing that we get with age is a factor in these reviews...
Well, at 59 I definitely don't 'hear' much highs anymore, but I still physically experience them to some extent, so if the system is tonally balanced I can tell if they're rolled off/missing, though obviously I can't tell if they are harsh/whatever. So yes, age related hearing roll off is a factor.

My complaint with the Fostex has more to do with midbass/mids/lower HF where my hearing is still pretty good, though I haven't auditioned their premium models yet. Still, the ones I have auditioned I consider good value, just not for me. I much prefer several discontinued 'el cheapo' RadioShack drivers, especially after a little tweaking. Unfortunately neither me nor a few other's searching have yet to find anything close in currently available brands.

Quote:
By no means I'm a valid voice here, but the way the speakers are set up (on the picture) I doubt that they'll sound the same as in a normal room setup. Just MHA.
Correctomundo! All the other speakers are acting as differently tuned bass traps, so there's no way a couple of little drivers are going to generate any LF/midbass output to speak of. This won't explain away any anomolies in the BW above the half space point though, so the mids/HF can still be critiqued.

GM
Old 30th March 2005, 02:56 AM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Greets!

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
[B Dave's (plant 10) doping [/B]
Did you deliberately misspell that?

Quote:
[i]Well, at 59 I definitely don't 'hear' much highs anymore[/B]
Oh come now, with 902 and a dampened cowbell, I bet those highs are making it through.

Quote:
[i]Correctomundo! [/B]
I thought so.

Long live Altec

Cal
Old 30th March 2005, 12:44 PM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you deliberately misspell that?
No, just missed it in my proof-reading. My (brutal) Catholic liberal arts education prevents me from intentionally making grammatical errors.
Quote:
Oh come now, with 902 and a dampened cowbell, I bet those highs are making it through.
Hear? No. I can boost the 16 kHz filter +24 dB and not hear any difference through headphones, but can 'feel' it when listening to speakers if I'm in the 'sweet spot', but the sensation rolls off much quicker when I move off axis than folks with good hearing. IOW, folks with good hearing will stand further off axis than me when finding the point where it's rolled off to inaudibility due to beaming.

Reallly, I'm surprised I kept my hearing for so long considering all the sustained high SPL abuse I subjected them to over the decades of live concerts, racing, especially two-stroke before mufflers became mandatory, etc.. Even wearing a helmet/earplugs, my ears would ring for hours after a race.........

GM
Old 30th March 2005, 01:00 PM   #14
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default all deaf

pinkmouse: Nobody I ever knew who stood before a loudspeaker with a signal gen driving the amp, could pick up more than a faint shadow of a tone over 15k. Not even when I was 20 in the Sound Engineering School with all the mates. With phones it is just a little less faint.
Old 31st March 2005, 10:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

My girl and I let go at about 17-18kHz. No problem hearing 15k. This is a bit problematic with some TVs and monitors, by the way...

Hide this!Advertise here!