Build up box 4 unknow dirver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2005, 01:12 AM   #1
cominup is offline cominup  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cominup
Default Build up box 4 unknow dirver

Hi all,

I've just got a pair of fullrange "Made in the Republic of China". A little data: 8Ohms, input rate 5W; max 10W, dia. 25cm (10"); weight: 4kg (~8lbs) each. It sounds good in open air.

Now I'm considering to build Back Horn or Bass reflex. Could I measure this pair? Or are there some design could match with some things like that?

It was fantastic when I put it in room corner, so I gues that it could make some very deep smooth bass if be putted in some match box. In fact, I love Back Horn more than Bass reflex.

Thanks in advance,

Cominup
Old 29th March 2005, 03:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Build up box 4 unknow dirver

Quote:
Originally posted by cominup
Hi all,

I've just got a pair of fullrange "Made in the Republic of China". A little data: 8Ohms, input rate 5W; max 10W, dia. 25cm (10"); weight: 4kg (~8lbs) each. It sounds good in open air.

Now I'm considering to build Back Horn or Bass reflex. Could I measure this pair? Or are there some design could match with some things like that?

It was fantastic when I put it in room corner, so I gues that it could make some very deep smooth bass if be putted in some match box. In fact, I love Back Horn more than Bass reflex.

Thanks in advance,

Cominup
If they sound good in free air, I would guess that the Qts is too high for a bass reflex enclosure. That's only a guess, but inexpensive speakers do tend to have very large Qts, because the magnet is usually small. The intended application may be to put them in a wall or ceiling, "infinite baffle" style. In any case, you would indeed need to have measurement equipment to design a bass reflex box for them. The same is probably true for a back loaded horn. Your best bet might be just to put them in a rather big sealed box with some poly fiber stuffing in it.

But what do I know?
Old 29th March 2005, 03:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dave,

Pls, be attention that they were very old (<1965), not normally china (I said that "Made in the Republic of China" ). Rite now, its hard to see some product marked like that.

Could you suggest some schema???
Old 29th March 2005, 08:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could you suggest some schema???
Just a thought, but you could always try an open baffle. I know these often aren't well regarded, but you can get some decent sounding results from them, even if measured performance isn't great. I seem to recall reading about a pair using Goodmans drivers on a wooden baffle with curved glass extensions or wings at the side, which helped keep things looking subtle.
Old 30th March 2005, 12:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yesterday, I've tryed box of old BLH Japanese speaker (OTTO, FAD) but for 20cm speaker. It's so good but got lack a bit of bass, then bass not clear enough and disturbance (I really don't know this word could describe enough my feeling).

So, I will offset this design 1.5 times bigger or more. How do you think if I paint some thing in side horn? Because inside of OTTO, I saw some black spray, I don't know what it is.
Old 30th March 2005, 01:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default fullrange r of c

maybe a pic or 2?

Hide this!Advertise here!