Building my first FR project.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building my first FR project....

I just got my Fostex FE126E speakers yesterday. I have started building the recommended hybrid horn/br enclosure and everything is looking good so far. My question is about mounting the driver. Do I need to flush mount or surface mount the drver? I have searched the forums and haven't found much information on a preference.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Tim
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:03 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Flush mounting would be best, but tho frames on the FE126 (and too many other drivers) have a shaped flange that encorages just surface mounting thm.

dave
Old 1st April 2005, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok another quick question. I have all the pieces cut for the recommended enclosure. I have the sides glued up and am ready to start with the internal pieces. Any tips on how to secure the pieces while the glue dries? I am a novice woodworker and having some issues trying to clamp them on the angle.

Any tips would be appreciated..

Thanks
Tim
Old 1st April 2005, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
you could use biscuits, that's what I'm doing with mine, if only to locate them accurately
Steve
Old 1st April 2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you're a novice woodworker (like me) then you probably don't have a lot of tools around, so improvisation is the only way. I glued one or two pieces at a time and used bricks to weigh them down.
Old 1st April 2005, 04:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I saved old car batteries for dead weight nowadays!
Old 1st April 2005, 04:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For internal pieces it's hard to beat good ol' fashion wood screws. Glue and Screw. You can remove the screws after the glue dries if you like. Finish nails are an option as well.
Joe
Old 1st April 2005, 04:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips. I have been using a stack of 5 pound weigths to hold the pieces down, its just pretty slow going. All the other speakers I have built (this is my first BLH however) have been glued and screwed. But this small 1/2" MDF box is just getting glue and no screws. I may try some finish nails though...

Thanks
Tim
Old 1st April 2005, 10:29 PM   #9
james_b is offline james_b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default wood dowels

Another option is 1/4" wood dowels usually 1" in length with glue. Just drill a hole for them 1/2" deep in the internal angle piece, then mark the spot on the side where the dowel touches and drill a corresponding hole in the side piece. This will keep the piece in alignment and provide exceptional strength when glued. All you need is a drill. And you can cut the dowel shorter if needed depending on the thickness of the wood. Just be careful not to drill your hole tto deep and punch through the side piece!
Old 1st April 2005, 11:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

A variation on the dowel idea is to go to your friendly local woodworkers store and pick up a "dowel kit". They're usually only about $5 and are great for lining up holes for dowels.

Hide this!Advertise here!