UREI Time Align

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does any one know of any modifications to the Older UREI Time Align series of Studio Monitors designed by Ed Long? Can you give a web site for details of those mods if there are any? If not and you know of some can you e-mail me the details or drawings directly?

Thanks for all the help!

nbcaudio said:
I'm thinking of buying some for reference monitors "

I was interested since, as a studio engineer, I spent many long hours in front of Urie 813s & 815s (the 5 is a double woofer, the 3 a single and the 11 a single co-axial ). IMHO you will be very disapointed with them for anything but studio tracking work. Like most "real" studio monitors they were designed to be flat, neutral, hard & analytical. The idea is that whatever you record & mix on them translates well into a variety of situations in the outside world. They were never actually designed to be listened to for enjoyment.

They also required soffit mounting, preferably bolted to, or set in, concrete to work at their best. Don't be fooled by the high efficiency rating, you will find that they require massive amount of amplification to perform. Most studios running in the passive mode were teaming them up with at least 600W/chnl RMS amplifiers, then you can watch the lightbulbs (protection circuitry) twinkle.

As far as mods go I never saw a studio really dive into the them. I remember the woofers were somewhat easy to bottom out & there were rumors of TAD drivers being used but I never heard them (knowingly at least).

If you can get a pair really cheap & you have the room they would be fun to play with however. Find all the specs at:
http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics.html

If you really are into classic studio monitors I could recomend the Westlake Audio BBSM series, they are smaller and much more livable with, but still, don't imagine your SE amp driving 'em! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.