drivers used in Tivoli Model one ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From the Tivoli marketing blurb, they use equalisation on their drivers to get the characteristic 'full' sound of their radios. So if starting from scratch, there are probably a number of drive unit options out there which would be a better bet for PC use.

If, however, you live in the UK and would like to add a second speaker to a Tivoli alarm clock radio without paying the extortionate price charged by the UK importers, the identity of the Tivoli drivers would still be useful.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm usually naturally inquisitive, but I haven't yet worked up the nerve to open my Model One. I would also very much like to know what driver it has, as it sounds superb (with built-in EQ). I can only tell you that it is not shielded. If I could get my 3" Tang Band center channel to sound like that, I would be quite satisfied....

I doubt the driver is off-the-shelf. I would assume they are manufactured for about $1.00 each.

In 1989, I visited Cambridge Soundworks when it was a start-up, working out of a loft in West Newton. And Henry Kloss was there. He was testing a batch of drivers (maybe 6" woofers, I can't recall) lined up in a certain way, and it seemed to me they had all come out of a big box (i.e., not separate boxes), so evidently custom made as opposed to off-the-shelf. At least that was my impression.

To my ears, the Tivoli sounded warm, almost like a loudness contour. That should be possible to emulate with a carefully proportioned cab and / or circuit (or whatever EQ is available).

I am also curious about this and have asked it before. Still no one knows. Perhaps some design detail of the Tivoli helps performance. The Bose radio has that tunnel thing that was diagrammed once.

Or maybe it's just the simplicity.

I cut down an old MLTL for the FE127e just for use as a radio speaker for streaming audio. For some reason it is immensely satisfying and so I have not done any builds for a while. Maybe it's the placement.

Anyway keep the thread going so we find this out.

Someone references a Fostex speaker

Wow! That is such a shame. The internals of my radio are well made. The amp, tuner and pre-amp are all on seperate boards and the vernier tuning reduction is done by brass gears and it has a Fostex speaker. But that said, I bought mine the first year they came out (#06908) and the walnut is much richer in appearance than the newer ones.

Tivoli Radio Hiss (Amplifier gain issue?) [Archive] - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Well I can attest to the idea that they have a contour circuit in them. And the circuit applies to the AUX input as well as the radio.

A year or two ago I had a Model Two, and on a lark I disassembled the speaker modual(sp?) (not the tuner modual) and hooked the speaker wires to one of my B20's in its 2cuft sealed enclosure. Figured if it sounded all right I would look at using the Tivoli electronics to drive some Fostex's, like FE127E or an FE167E's.

In a word - horrible. It was chock full of mid bass bloat and there was very little bottom end. Not that B20's are all thet great but in a 2cuft sealed enclosure mated with a Dayton Neo tweeter, as mine are, they are pleasent sounding. But when driven by the Tivoli electronics it seemed everything was out of whack.

As to who made the driver in the modual I opened up I do not know. I looked at it briefly and when none of the numbers on it rang a bell I just continued on with the experiment.

R/
Jim

anyone know what the type of driver (3 inch) that is used by the tivoli mono radios are ? I wonder if anyone has built a small PC speaker around these units ?
I have get the driver parameters according Neville Thiele and Richard Small by measuring the impedance with DAAS3NT:
Rdc : 3R3
Fres: 160Hz
Qms: 7
Qes: 1,8
Qts: 1,4
Now I measure the same parameters in a closed box (therefore I use the box of Model ONE and closed the vented output resp. reflex port therefore) and measuring provide follow values:
Fres: 183Hz
Qmc: 5,5
Qec: 1,9
Qtc: 1,4

Maybe this helps for diy a computer box resp. select the right chassis driver.
check out also this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ne-vs-klh-model-twenty-one-4.html#post4197454

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.