Single Driver Front and Rear Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2005, 03:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Default Single Driver Front and Rear Horn

There are quite a few RLH horn designs around, yet from what I understand loading only one side of the driver isn't optimal. I was reading some of Dinsdale's work and he suggested using 1 driver and covering 80hz up to 18kz with the front radiation loading an HF horn and the rear radiation loading a bass horn.

If I'm willing to use a sub to cover the bottom octaves, are there any reasons not to try to tackle such a project using a driver such as the FE206E ?
Old 10th March 2005, 07:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to layertone
Default My FE206E Horn project

I have 1 horn completed; the horn exits in the back, based on heavily modified Mauhorn 12. Sounds absolutely stunning and unbelievable!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tpham1218/1...n-Finished.jpg
Old 10th March 2005, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I hear what you're saying and I do agree. I don't know much about the science of these things, but designs like the Beauhorns Virtuoso, (http://www.beauhorn.com/pages/frame.html) seem to hit on the type of thing you're after.

There are folks here that should be able to help you work this out. I'd think the FE206E would be a fine candidate for this.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10th March 2005, 03:56 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Right, the ideal BLH loading is hyperbolic since the front of the driver 'feels' a ~infinite 'compression' chamber, so to get an optimally loaded shorter, faster flaring BLH requires a front horn to provide the reactance annulling/mass loading to ensure a uniform acoustic load on the driver. Since this mass loading not only lowers the driver's effective Fs, but also raises its effective Qts, a low Qts driver such as the FE206E is the obvious choice.

The concept is as simple as the ubiquitous B*** bandpass 'sub', a successful execution of it is somewhat more elusive.

GM
Old 10th March 2005, 04:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was wondering just how challenging this might be. I had the thought of roughing up a couple different short front horns and somehow attaching them to existing cabs just to see what they would do. Sounds easier than it probably is.

I did get the Nagaoka books and was hoping to find something of this sort in there, but didn't see anything. It seems that it wouldn't be too challenging to design a BLH with a front horn worked in. (If you're already knowledgable to design a BLH in the first place) However, it seems that must not be the case, as you certainly don't see it too often.

From GM's comments, I'd guess that to do this correctly, the front horn would somehow have to reflect the amount of loading the driver is getting from the BLH. However, I have to wonder just how vital this would be in the end. Figuring out the correct flair rate is challenging enough without throwing that variable in there.

I'd like to see where this goes...
Old 10th March 2005, 06:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I'd think the hardest part would be constructing a good front horn, but since it will only be about 5" of horn length it can't be too bad.

Just to verify that I'm on the right track:

1. I can go with expo flare rates on both horns.

2. The combined horn lengths is important as the output of both
horns needs to be in phase at the cutoff frequency between the 2 horns.

3. The throat and chamber sizes for the bass horn are more critical than I see in typical RLH's because this determines the upper cutoff of the bass horn.

4. I should plan on a 10% overlap in response of the 2 horns, which will be somewhere in the 1200hz range.

5. Since I'm going to take the bass section up so high, that horn will have no parallel sides and I will keep the pathway as close to square as possible.

As long as I do the math properly, using HornResp as a tool and construct what the math tells me, do I have a high probability of success or is this a speaker design with unforeseen pitfalls that are likely to reach out and bite me in the a**?

Also, with a lower cutoff of 80hz am I going to need a filter to protect the driver below that using an amp with only a few watts of power?
Old 13th March 2005, 07:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi there.

I've had a good and long search, and I think I've found something that might have Your interest: The Tractrix Horn Project by Alf Lepp
Old 13th March 2005, 03:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That is along the lines I was thinking and Dinsdale's minihorn was my inspiration, but I couldn't make heads or tails of the drawings. Alf's bass horn is only covering a little more than 2 octaves and I need 4 since I want true single driver, if it is reasonably possible to get right. With my bass horn going so high, I will definitely need front firing.
Old 13th March 2005, 06:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
4. I should plan on a 10% overlap in response of the 2 horns, which will be somewhere in the 1200hz range.
It's just intuition, but I would think you would want the hand off to be quite a bit lower than this. The 206 looks to have a serious rising response. If my understanding is correct then loading this into something like a 400Hz front horn would bring the mid range up to meet the treble which will not be boosted by the front horn. I would also think that you might have trouble getting a horn to play from 80Hz thru 1200Hz. Maybe not though....
Joe
Old 13th March 2005, 06:54 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
you might have trouble getting a horn to play from 80Hz thru 1200Hz.
5 octaves would be a serious challenge for any horn... and i don't think you'd want to fold it.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!