double horn 108 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
108E Sigma double horn?

Wouldn't the J-Low well documented by Nelson Pass be easily adapted to the Fostex? Maybe at least the folding geometry - it might be wider than necessary for bass performance equal to the factory recommended enclosure . (it's certainly large enough to cause some issues with WAF)

FWIW, Terry Cain has probably experimented with something close to this configuration, but might withhold some of the specifics to allow for potential retail product.

Thanks for the reply/ideas Chrib,

Yeah, the J-low's a bit large. I'm looking for a small footprint. The Fostex recommeded rear horn is fine, but I sure do like the looks of the double horns like Mr. Cain's! And, I assume that the footprint of a double horn would be roughly 1/2 that of the single. Someone suggested that such a double horn with a 108 might lose significant bass since only 1/2 of the horn output would couple to the floor.

I've been advised to check out the Swan. I'm sure it sounds amazing. I'd just prefer something that looked more like a double horn Ben.

It'd be great if Mr. Cain could share some thoughts, but as you mentioned I wouldn't want to take potential revenue from his pockets.

double horm plan change

Mr. Cain,

Thank you for the reply - I am honored to hear from the man himself.

I'm actually awaiting the arrival of a pair of 166ESRs now. A friend told me Solen in Canada had a few left and I snatched a couple. So now, what to do with these little gems?

I know you are a fan of the Fostex recommended cabinet, but I would prefer something with a smaller footprint and somthing that I personally found more appealing aesthetically.

Since I'm a newbie, and have no idea what I'm doing, I'm trying to convert the Fostex recommended cabinet dimensions into a Hedlund type cabinet. When I get frustrated with that idea - who knows? Back to a double horn?

Mr. Cain,

I've made tls, ported boxes, closed boxes, esl but I am completely new to horns. I have much to learn.

If I went with a 166 ESR double horn, can I just add another Fostex recommended box atop the single horn? If I do that do I keep the throat and compression chamber the same dimensions? keep the driver in the same position relative to the chamber and/or throat? Can I decrease the footprint? Am I asking you to give away proprietary secrets? Should I hit the books? Do you have a book recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.