Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 04:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Default Fostex FE206E socket phase plug

I finally got up the nerve to take the razor knife to my 206's and I'm glad I did. I only did one so I can compare. The result is a signifcant increase in detail in the higher frequencies and a reduction in the "shout".

Before going further I have a couple of questions since this is my first experiment with DIY phase plugs. I used a 22mm socket which is slightly smaller than used in the Decware mod and it doesn't extend out quite as much as the whizzer. Could I expect much difference from a taller socket or a more traditionally shaped wooden phase plug? Are there really some benefits to the hollow shape of the socket as a phase plug? I don't mind experimenting, but with the strength of the magnet it would be easy to have a tragic accident. Plus I already have the hole just the right size. Would painting this ugly thing have sonic consequences?

I recommend this tweak to anyone contemplating it. Try to get the hole you cut the correct size before getting the socket anywhere near it. Maybe find something non-magnetic for testing the size of the hole. The magnetic is so strong that it really grabs the socket when you get it close, so I'm sure you could do some cone damage if the hole is too small and the magnet grabs the socket away from you.
Old 9th March 2005, 05:45 PM   #2
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fostex FE206E socket phase plug

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR

Before going further I have a couple of questions since this is my first experiment with DIY phase plugs. I used a 22mm socket which is slightly smaller than used in the Decware mod and it doesn't extend out quite as much as the whizzer. Could I expect much difference from a taller socket or a more traditionally shaped wooden phase plug?

i tried a couple of different socket lengths (and even lined them up end to end... the magnet kept them stuck togehter)

the longer the socket, the more diffuse the sound seemed (to me) and beyond a certain point, .. seemed to attenuate the higher frequencies.

i'd think it would also be interesting to (temporarily) stick a golf ball on the end of the plug just to see what happens to the dispersion / freq. response. .. some posts on AA about this recently, IIRC .
Old 9th March 2005, 11:29 PM   #3
jsaults is offline jsaults  United States
diyAudio Member

I tried a socket in my rat shack 40-1197's and it sucked the life out of them. I used a wooden phase plug and it was like magic. I think it may have had something to do with changing the magnetic field. I wonder if this is what the 206 is experiencing, and overall sonics are benefitting? I'm sure they have a MUCH more liberal supply of magnetic energy in their motor. Dunno myself but a thought anywho.
Old 16th March 2005, 04:31 PM   #4
kenev is offline kenev  Greece
diyAudio Member

johninCR,

Any pictures?
Old 16th March 2005, 05:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
kenev,
It's not worthy of a picture. Just an FE206E with a 20mm socket sticking out in place of the eyeball looking dustcap. I really need to paint the socket because the crome color looks pretty ugly as is.
Old 16th March 2005, 05:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think it may have had something to do with changing the magnetic field.
per Steve Deckert

Quote:
The second most obvious distinction is that the device is steel not plastic. It couples directly to the magnetic pole piece, modifying the poles magnetic field. This in turn makes subtle modifications to the Thiel and Small parameters that were present before the device was added.
Old 16th March 2005, 06:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Steve put a lot of fluff in there about his mod to justify the extra $. I'm glad I just did it myself. I think jsaults is correct and it works because the magnet is so strong the T/S parameters don't change enough to hurt performance. I don't believe they change them for the better though, just not enough to make a difference.
Old 16th March 2005, 06:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's one of those statements that no one has yet proved or disproved, however, judging from others it appears to be a mod that works.
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:19 PM   #9
Hrappur is offline Hrappur  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Default Socket mod

Isnīt the original socket mod my Decware a socket mounted on a iron rod? Not just a socket stuck in the hole.

This i would think would further modify the magnetik field and has the extra purpos of projecting the socket further out of the cone.

any one know the weight of the rod?
Old 22nd March 2005, 07:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Socket mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Hrappur
Isnīt the original socket mod my Decware a socket mounted on a iron rod? Not just a socket stuck in the hole.

This i would think would further modify the magnetik field and has the extra purpos of projecting the socket further out of the cone.

any one know the weight of the rod?
No, just a socket but a slightly larger one than I used. I heard that he uses a 15/16" craftsman. Steve also dopes the cone and adds damping for the basket and magnet structure.

Hide this!Advertise here!