Buschhorn MkII w/ Foster W422, aka Fostex FE103A - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2005, 04:13 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: backing up to the ribs

Quote:
Originally posted by DRCope
but I don't see anything in the pix of mine either in the cone or the dustcap. I assume, if they're there, that they stiffen the cone with little weight penalty, which would make the wave launch more uniform. What about the resulting sound makes them "special"?
There is just a hint that they maybe exist under the dustcap... these would be akin to the ridges in the cone on the Fostex ESigma drivers. Those 5" & some 8" drivers with similar ridges are pretty special sounding.

Geez, it's nice to have such a wealth of information and experience at hand as I dip my big toe in the FR pond!

Quote:
Careful, though. The E kits will spoil ya!
Been listening to them and their bigger brethern for nigh on a year now -- no temptation at all (we have a Friday afternoon coffee klatch at Sound Hounds every week -- BTW it was Don, Terry, & myself that "launched" Sound Hounds in the latter half of the '70s)

dave
Old 10th March 2005, 04:15 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Hey dave, you posted pics of my unfinished Jimmy Buffett speakers.
Do you want me to post construction pics & make it a series :^)

Unfinished they look pretty nice (i prefer them with no grills)

dave
Old 10th March 2005, 06:32 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: backing up to the ribs

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Been listening to them ( the E-Kits) and their bigger brethern for nigh on a year now -- no temptation at all (we have a Friday afternoon coffee klatch at Sound Hounds every week -- BTW it was Don, Terry, & myself that "launched" Sound Hounds in the latter half of the '70s)

dave

Nothing particularly exotic about the cabinet construction, or that matter the fairly normal looking SAES drivers (untreated paper cone mid/soft dome tweeter) and handmade XO.

As Dave said, we've had occassion to hear various combos of almost every AN (single box) speaker models, including silver wired specials etc, on comple AN systems ranging to over $120,00

Wonderful sound yes, "spoil" me for my own system, I don't think so. At the high end the pricing is (let's be charitable) - more than I would consider spending, regardless of my financial situation.

FWIW, I've been a customer, and regular of the Friday afternoon &"smoky" evening /afterhours club there for most of the past 30 years myself. If I've learned only one thing from the experience, it's that I have to trust my own ears, and not have to justify my opinions to anyone.
Old 10th March 2005, 07:34 PM   #24
DRCope is offline DRCope  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What?

I may be wrong, but you seem rather upset and I have no idea why.

Perhaps I should have included a little smiley face after the "spoil" remark. By and large it was supposed to be humorous - tonue in cheek. On the other hand, I chucked a perfectly good job to do what I do now because I capped a used AN system with a pair of E's. Stood my life on its ear.

I'm setting in to build a set of FR speakers, so obviously I think it's worth doing.

Nobody asked you to justify anything.

Old 10th March 2005, 08:04 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default mea culpa

That does read a little pissy doesn't it?

All I was trying to say is that I've heard good DIY or "sub-cultre" systems ( Bottlehead, Decware, Cain & Cain , Horneshoppe Horns, Omega, several DIY amps & speakers) that achieve 95% of the musical smiles, which cost less than one of the sales taxes (7%) on the interconnects and speaker wires in the dealer's "salon" demo rig.

Regardless of the nameplate on the gear, I just find that kind of pricing , if not obscene, at least not excusable.

Rant off
Old 10th March 2005, 08:37 PM   #26
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Do you want me to post construction pics & make it a series :^)
Sure, I'll forward the rest to you. The grilles are being made today.
Old 14th March 2005, 12:44 AM   #27
DRCope is offline DRCope  United States
diyAudio Member

Default idiot question on fuzzmeasure

Dave - I've downloaded the fuzzmeasure, and there's much esoteric discussion about it, but what I can't find is an explanation as to how it actually gets USED! How do I get the test signal out to the system - surely not through the headphone jack! What should I use for a mic, and how does it get back into the Mac? The notion that no additional hardware is required, but I don't see how that's possible. . . .

Help!
Old 14th March 2005, 01:14 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: idiot question on fuzzmeasure

Quote:
Originally posted by DRCope
I've downloaded the fuzzmeasure, and there's much esoteric discussion about it, but what I can't find is an explanation as to how it actually gets USED! How do I get the test signal out to the system - surely not through the headphone jack! What should I use for a mic, and how does it get back into the Mac? The notion that no additional hardware is required, but I don't see how that's possible. . . .
What Mac do you have? By no additional hardware i think Chris really means "no additional computer hardware". If your Mac has a mic input you can at least use the Apple PlainTalk mic (ie on my old PowerBook i used this with mac-the-scope). But my G4 only has a line-level input so i need a mic pre... the Griffin iMic is an option, a more serious mic pre can be bought from a number of vendors, BrianGT & Vikash are putting together a mic pre group buy (boards at least) based on the Neal/Wallin design (my V1 board from Neal attached -- assembled, not tested).

To do impedance you need a jig... a simple jig requires a 1k R, a stereo miniPhone cable, and a calibration R (ideally a similar R to what you are measuring (ie typically 8 ohms).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neal-wallin-micpre.jpg (34.6 KB, 577 views)
Old 14th March 2005, 01:19 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I built up a more elaborate jig... a DUT connection (with wire & alligator clips), a pluggable space for the nominal 1K R, RCA I/O,. the calibration R mounted in an easy to get to place (installed after these pics -- also doubles as an alligator clip dock), all mounted in an old Apple 400k floppy disk drive enclosure.

I plan an even more elaborate one with a switch and additional miniPhone jack so i can hook my 'puter speakers to the jig and switch between them and the jig.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jig-collage.jpg (79.2 KB, 578 views)
Old 14th March 2005, 01:20 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

the jig map...
Attached Images
File Type: gif fm-jig-map.gif (4.0 KB, 570 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!