Buschhorn MkII w/ Foster W422, aka Fostex FE103A - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2005, 07:38 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and a group photo... mostly Foster FE103As ... of special note are the set on the lower right, these are a Canadian made Radio Speakers of Canada variant found i a set of the trendy Electrohome speakers -- unfortunately foam surrounds that are now dust. Since this pic was taken i've gotten at least 3 more flacvours of Corals (2 of those are singles), 2 more flavours of Foster, and the Panasonics above. Dave's are another i haven't seen. I mention numbers because this is probably fairly representative of the population distribution.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-family-s.jpg (42.9 KB, 821 views)
Old 10th March 2005, 07:41 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE103As in BK101s -- for anyone tempted to build these, you might as well just put them in a sealed box (except these are cooler looking) -- that said, these speakers in my lab are one of the most useful speakers i've ever owned... the jacks on the front are very useful.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-bk101.jpg (58.3 KB, 847 views)
Old 10th March 2005, 07:43 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And we tried them in an aperiodic box (with a RS 40-1197 on the back for baffle-step compensation).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-midimonitor.jpg (47.9 KB, 783 views)
Old 10th March 2005, 07:52 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and here they are in the Fostex FE103 recommended horn... these need work. They have a "closed-in" character in the mid-range that makes them hard to listen too. 1st thing we are going to try is apacer plate on the front to make the compression chamber larger (Chris B-Horns with FE108ES developed a similar charachter when he decreased the compresion chamber). The Tim Forman-style ML-Voigts with 40-1197s easily out perform them. (the vintage iMac is intended to become a digital music server, and the black box has the Peerless 8s -- the ones with the really low Fs).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe103a-infostex-horns.jpg (66.8 KB, 795 views)
Old 10th March 2005, 07:56 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

So when we say that the B-Horns are the best we've tried, we have tried a few others.

Once Fuzzmeasure gets T/S capability (or the weather gets better) i will get a sample set of parameters and i have a bipole 103 horn bouncing around in my head that will get out sometime.

An early concept sketch attached -- it has evolved from this sketch.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif 103bp-horn-concept.gif (32.5 KB, 788 views)
Old 10th March 2005, 08:55 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow of the very cute FE83A

dave
Old 10th March 2005, 09:04 AM   #17
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
the vintage iMac is intended to become a digital music server
A bit off topic, but I was thinking of doing the same with mine. I wish I was proficient enough to work out a way to strip it down, get rid of the screen and fit all the remaining circuitry, HD and CD/DVD player into a 'hi-fi box' with an lcd display and proper audio in/out connections
Old 10th March 2005, 09:11 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ropie
A bit off topic, but I was thinking of doing the same with mine. I wish I was proficient enough to work out a way to strip it down, get rid of the screen and fit all the remaining circuitry, HD and CD/DVD player into a 'hi-fi box' with an lcd display and proper audio in/out connections :scratch1
There is a chassis/kit you can get that stuffs it into a 1U rack-space...

dave
Old 10th March 2005, 11:32 AM   #19
DRCope is offline DRCope  United States
diyAudio Member

Default backing up to the ribs

Dave,

I see the ribs in the cone in the larger driver, but I don't see anything in the pix of mine either in the cone or the dustcap. I assume, if they're there, that they stiffen the cone with little weight penalty, which would make the wave launch more uniform. What about the resulting sound makes them "special"?

Geez, it's nice to have such a wealth of information and experience at hand as I dip my big toe in the FR pond!

Yes, Sound Hounds is a great hifi shop. Terry and crew are a class act and know whereof they speak. Careful, though. The E kits will spoil ya! ;-)
Old 10th March 2005, 03:52 PM   #20
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I was wondering when dave was going to get involved with this thread.

Hey dave, you posted pics of my unfinished Jimmy Buffett speakers. I haven't done the top grille yet. I will post when it's complete.

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!