BR for FE166ES-R HELP!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I know that BR for these speakers is not the right way to go about it. but i recently finished some rough grande 6 clones for a friend and they sound sooo good that my 166es-r in ob just dont cut it for me anymore. I know I should bite the bullet and just build the recomended horn cabs. which i do intend to do. but just dont have the time now, so I was hoping I could get someone who is experianced with the box calc software to give me a decent starting point for a FE166ES-R ported box. Thanks for any input. and happy listening!!! :clown:

OK, I let WinISD calculate the missing parameters which should be close enough.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It´s not the most ideal driver for a BR just as the stock FE166E.
I put in the FE-167E (in a "Omega Grande 6"-like enclosure assuming ~20l) as a reference as you know that one.

As an alternative you could try a simple ML-QWT like here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51042&highlight=

That one will be a bigger floorstander but simple construction still.
If you´re interested I could try them in MJK´s sheets.

greets

The enclosure is 6.77l tuned to 92.39Hz. (0.239 cu ft.)
Port is 5cm in diameter and 6.51cm in lenght. (1.97"dia x 2,54" L)
(The FE166ES-R is the green line)
Before you start building:
You also have the possibility to put some series resistance before the speaker to raise it´s Q. That might probably be your best option.
I have to dig out the equation for that. hold on...

If you wanna try the BR, you can download WinISD and change the port-diameter so it fits something you have available.

Thinking about the ML-QWT:
If you decide something bigger you should rather go for either the horn or a tapered QWT. A straight one is probably not that ideal (low Qts).

My first attempt is with a series resistance of 3.3Ohm.
It raises Qes to ~0,318.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(now the white line is the FE166ES-r with added resistance)

Of course you´ll loose some precious sensitivity but if you get along without BSC etc. there should be enough left.

A theoretical ideal Qes for the driver would be around 0.5 which would result in a series resistance of 7,8Ohm but I´m not sure if that is advisable and/or has additional drawbacks to "just" sensitivity.

wow thanks a bunch! that was exactly what i was looking for. would like to stay away from bsc if i can ill try it without my main amp is single ended el84 so 2 watts needs all the help it can get. but i have a chip amp and a digital amp also. so power isnt all that important. and its really easy to add or remove a resister. thanks again ill try that out with some left over birch i have.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
slappomatt said:
wow thanks a bunch! that was exactly what i was looking for. would like to stay away from bsc if i can ill try it without my main amp is single ended el84 so 2 watts needs all the help it can get.

You may find that much or all of that 3.3 ohms is provided by
the output impedance of your amp.

And 2 watts? I'm listening to them right now at 1/2 watt peaks.

:cool:

You may find that much or all of that 3.3 ohms is provided by
the output impedance of your amp.

And 2 watts? I'm listening to them right now at 1/2 watt peaks.
Yep, forgot to mention that.
Problem is you ideally would have to know the output impedance to properly simulate the driver, as volume requirements (at least for a BR) would change quite heavily with "tuned" Qes.
Of course you can always add some resistance but not get rid of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.