anyone hear a Fostex 206e in a back loaded horn cab.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a Voight Pipe cabinet ala the Abby...but rather than install the Foxtex 166e, (as in the Abby) I installed the larger 206e thinking that the base reproduction would be better.

What I got was a very "hot" sounding speaker, even when I implement the filters as recomended by Nelson.

I called Madisound and one of the engineers said that the 206e's QTS is too high for a Voight pipe, but the 206e sounds pretty good in the back loaded horn enclosure whose plans come with the driver...

So my question is, has anybody heard this driver in a back loaded horn enclosure???

FE206E, FE208 sigma nearly have the lowest Qts of all fostex full-range drivers: 0.18. Only FF225K has a lower Qts: 0.16.

I tried and played a little with M.J.King worksheet for ML-TL design, and a low Qts seems to make things less easy.
From what I understood, back loaded horns are "naturally suited" for low Qts drivers.

Seems like "one of the engineers from madisound" tells "left" while he thinks "right" :clown:

Fostex 206 in RLH

Ya I heard a Fostex 206, in a Fostex-designed RLH. Very very good. The owner/builder is still in the process of "tuning" his pair (aren't we always ? hehehe). He's experimenting with various damping materials to attenuate a squawk in the upper mids.

I just got a pair of 206 from Tim and intend to build an RLH, similar to the Solo 206 of Tony Gee(a little taller, but slimmer than that of Fostex). That way, we'd be able to make comparisons.

I already have a pair of Fostex 208 Sigma (not anymore available in their catalogue) in a RLH. Paired these with Fostex T90A, cut (as of this time) with 0.25uf

Hope this helps.

we have built a pair of the fe206e cabs recommended on the fostex site, and they are the most natural, transparent things i have ever heard, although they have a distinct lack of bass. The pair we built have probably had about 150-200 hours on them now and seem to be settling down a bit.
stereo imaging is superb and the highs are very smooth, not at all harsh. The owner really likes them, but i think they may be a little rolled off, but playing with a signal generator i can hear about 1.5khz higher than him anyway.
they are powered off a £250 valve amp from the Affordable Valve Co, (dynaco st70e i think ) :xeye: and they sound really good. After a recent trip to the bristol hifi show, tbh they equalled or bettered any of the systems we heard there. Not bad for about £250 of materials (inc drivers) on a cheap valve amp . . . they are a bit fiddly to construct but def. worth the effort imho.
last night we finished the construction of a huge sub using a shiva driver that we found by chance on ebay- should make all the difference :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
lufbramatt
You mean the RLH reccomended cabs,right?
Not the BR?
Because I'm also interested to build Fostex recommended BLH enclosure.But they're a little bit difficult.
For a simpler solution I think MJK's design is better.But I'm not sure what to do,yet.

Attachments

• 206e_enclrev.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 385
resident- yes we did make the blh cabs, exactly the same as the ones in the pdf u attached. The internals split down into 3 "L" shaped sub assemblies, so as long as u get them square theyre not that hard to make. The biggest problem we had was sourcing 21mm ply, we ended up laminating a sheet of 12mm and 9mm ply together.
All the parts for one cab fit onto 1 sheet of 1220x2440mm ply, with a tiny bit left over, i can probably post our cutting plan up if i want.

sorry that should read "if you want"

I would investigate other cabinets that are a bit more "curvy" as the fostex cabs have lots of 180 degree bends which im sure cant be that good for the sound. Although the benefits are that thers no funny angles to get spot on, just 90 degree squares.

u can see pics of the cabs we made here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=581242#post581242

althought that thread went a bit random at the end hehe

Re: Can you post pictures?

layertone said:
Any pictures you would like to share?

Thanks!

Sorry about delay.Speakers are in spare room for the day while some work is done in our living room.Heres a pic

Attachments

• 206e.jpg
    206e.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,600
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.