Sneak peak at my Fe166ESR project and a 'Pass' question. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Sneak peak at my Fe166ESR project and a 'Pass' question.

Currently under development
Fe166esr on OB and JBL E140 in BR, XO is centered around 180Hz. Baltic Birch ply construction, double thickness baffle, well braced.

Crossover stil needs messing around with, first order on FE1666, second order on E140, it's at the most rudimentary stage right now, sitting on a board. It seems to sound better with the FE1666 running wide open than with the cap. I think the woofer may need a contour network. There are other options I'm considering too(see last paragraph).

I need to adjust the stuffing, I just covered the back, top and one side with acoustic wool insulation to start...sounds like I need to take some out. I used more complex bracing than I intended and lost some Vb, so I overstuffed to compensate, that 'wool' crap is extremely dense.

I'm working on a grill for the back of the OB, it's a cage made of mild steel rod that continues the BR box shape, filling in that giant notch. There will be a grill on the woofer as well.

Also, I'm still picking out a finish...Either a really crazy (wild burl, or lacewood or some other exotic) veneer or perhaps leather on the baffle. Whatever I end up doing it'll be high zoot

Now for a slightly OT question. I am about to finish my Pass BLS(BOSOZ or whatever), I also have four channels of ZenV4. I want to either build a pair of Balanced ZenV4 monoblocks and stick with passive XO or go active and bi-amp. What, in your opinion, is the better way to go?

P.S. pardon my syntax, I'm kind of out of 'it'. I just got home from the hospital...I was there for a few days, I smashed up my mouth pretty bad (snowboarding F'up-darn rails!) so I'm pretty pilled up, hehe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of aclockworkorange.jpg (16.4 KB, 1111 views)
Old 6th March 2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like the look of those a lot.
I bet they will sound as good as they look too!
Old 6th March 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. They already sound better than anything I've had in my home. I got a little lucky with how well the drivers integrate right off the bat. Imaging is good, detail is fantastic, midrange is near bliss(the Fostex need to break in a bit, still sound 'chesty') and the bass is just right, I've had a chance to really open them up when my landlord went to bingo , you can really feel the kick drum punch you in the gut. There is less overhang than I've ever heard, low bass notes start and stop as they should. With all my previous speakers I had to listen hard to hear the drums in rock music, they'd always get lost behind a wall of guitar, now all instruments are clearly audible, I don't have to strain my mind to filter out all the instruments I'm not focusing on, I just pic the instrument and there it is...well, when I feel like listening that way.
I'm not going to fool with them for some time, I'm going to wait untill the Fostex drivers break in.

I'll take a couple of better pictures when my head clears. That pic doesn't do them justice. It's hard to get perspective accross with that pic, it's mostly built with compound mitre joints...I sure had fun building them.

Here's a ('nother bad) pic of the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aclockworkorange2.jpg (52.2 KB, 916 views)
Old 6th March 2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, the workmanship on those looks pretty tight.
Last week I made some similar looking things out of cardboard, just as a test run. The midrange driver in a small baffle on top of a bass 'box' of some description seems to be a good configuration. The sound from mine was very natural and smooth.

Will you 'release' the plans at all when they're done?
Old 6th March 2005, 10:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ropie
Will you 'release' the plans at all when they're done?
Probably just the basics, Vb, Fb, baffle size...etc. No cut list or anything.
Old 6th March 2005, 11:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Illusus
I have to admit to a slight tinge of jealousy. They look very nice, and I'm sure they sound good as well. Quite impressive that you good a good crossover from the get go. On my fostex108, emminence delta 12lf combo I keep wavering back and forth on different crossover points. Sometimes to thin, sometime to much mid-bass.....
Joe
Old 7th March 2005, 12:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks .

Yeah, I got pretty lucky. I was hoping I wouldn't have to stray too much from my original cross point, I don't have many parts left to experiment with. I used excessive modelling to get it 'virtually' right. It's tough working on a budget, I have to get everything right the first time. It ends up costing more out of the gate but I don't have to keep throwing money into my projects in the long run...I wish I had back the money I've lost on mediocre projects I built because the good stuff seemed expensive.
Old 7th March 2005, 02:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I can understand that, at 180Hz I wouldn't want to buy anymore crossover parts than I had to. What did you use to model the crossover? I've used box simulation programs, but never crossover modeling programs. Might do me some good. Educate myself a little.
By the way, I was quite suprised that you can get the Fe166esr down to 180Hz on an open baffle. Seems like it would be fairly low q, and unable to go very low on open baffle. Sounds like you got it though.
Joe
Old 7th March 2005, 03:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It was mostly done with pencil, paper, and a big earaser. I used the CMP program that came with a book by Weems/Koonce (book is so so BTW, these guys seem to assume a lot) for graphic output. I kept on cross referencing all my calcs using V.Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook and various imfo found on the web...mostly here. I like to stay clear of all the online calculators, I usually just use them to check my work otherwise I wouldn't really learn anything. I still think it was mostly luck.

I still have to measure response but I know you're right, it doesn't quite reach 180Hz (calcs showed it to be -1db at 200Hz from there it dropped like a rock), but the filter was designed for a fairly flat summed response where the drivers overlap. If I had brought the crossover closer to the OB's cancellation F there would be a big bump because of the woofers greater efficiency(100db/W). I wanted to stay clear of an L pad on the woofer, I thought the resistors might get pretty hot.

Anybody have any thoughts on the balanced VS active question from the first post in this thread?
Old 7th March 2005, 05:18 PM   #10
The one and only

Default Re: Sneak peak at my Fe166ESR project and a 'Pass' question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Illusus
Currently under development
Now for a slightly OT question. I am about to finish my Pass BLS(BOSOZ or whatever), I also have four channels of ZenV4. I want to either build a pair of Balanced ZenV4 monoblocks and stick with passive XO or go active and bi-amp. What, in your opinion, is the better way to go?
I would try both - it's a lot like building two completely different
speakers, but with less work.

Hide this!Advertise here!