Sneak peak at my Fe166ESR project and a 'Pass' question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment I'm stuck due to a funds shortage. I put my Dynaco PAS2 hot-rod pre for sale on ebay, when it sells I'll be able to finish all my projects(I hope). Right now I'm using the time to design the line level XOs and BSC...I'm making the BSC variable so I can adjust if I move to a different room. Also, I'm waiting on veneer, working on the cage and grill for the back of the OB, designing a chassis and layout for a BLS(BOSOZ) and some ZEN4s...tons of ****. Sorry for making you wait;) . I say go for it, the OB sounds damn good to me and is not that hard to try, all you need is to fill in the bottom end somehow. Anything specific you're curious about?

Just wanted to see how the whole thing panned out. I think I may have to wait a little bit, as I need funds to get LF drivers. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Fostex FW305 12". I like the fact that it goes low and will still be quick, costs a little more than I had planned, but not as much as JBLs or something.

You seem quite happy, so I think I'm going to go for it. Sounds like you have a lot of irons in the fire. Good luck with the projects, keep us posted!

I got very lucky with those JBLs. I was pawn shop browsing and saw these two giant 'roadie' boxes I took the lids off and there they were, along with some vintage AlNiCo 2402 horn tweeters, I paid $140 canadian for the pair and sold the tweeters on ebay for over $400 US. I carried that smile for some time, it still pops up...like right now.

I'm now going to design the PLLXOs. Any tips? I've been toying with the formulii found on Dave's PLLXO page but it seems a touch vague to me, how will this affect Q? . Should I go for 2nd order on the LP and 1st on the HP or 2nd or 1st for both? I suppose I'm fishing for an opinion on what you'd do given my situation. I also suppose I'm being a bit vague myself...anything you guys need to know to be able to help me out a bit?

I just stumbled on the link to Art Ludwig's couple paragraphs on the subject, it clears up a couple things(surprised I didn't notice it earlier)...also I remember an article in an issue of AudioExpress about somebody making one for their subwoofer, I'll see if I can dig that up.

A little update,
I designed and implemented a passive line level BSC (RC) with 6db compensation, I tried 3db but due to speaker placement it sounded thin . It worked well to smooth out the bass response, there are still some holes and peaks but that's due to my room, although it has near perfect dimensions it's nearly untreated (except for the furniture), we don't plan on staying here too long so I haven't bothered. The BSC ate up some gain, but it's ok for now.

I also changed the xo. It was parallel, first order on the Fostex, 2nd order on the woofer, now it's first order series, sounds better, much better....there seemed to be a slight dip in the midbass before, the baffle cancelation occured above the xo point, first order on the woofer added the needed lift there. By nature, there should be a bit of combing now, but it doesn't seem noticeable from my listening position, there's a spot, when I move my head down and forward a couple of feet, where it's very obvious. I still haven't tried PLLXO or active...I'm going full balanced with my system but I'll leave the option for active xo/biamping just so I won't be in the dark.

Also, because I had some spare HQ(hovland) caps from a previous project, I cascaded(four steps) the big cap....I was a little sceptical of this practice but the midrange became a little more real and the highs clearer and more extended. I don't notice any tonal 'steps' as the f goes higher.

That's it for now. I have to wait untill my pre and amp parts come in untill I can try anything new, I sold my pre to fund my projects and have resorted to using my TV's extra I/O as a pre....it's not so good sounding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.