Suggestions before I cut the wood? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2005, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions before I cut the wood?

I have four Hi-Vi B3N 3" full-range drivers sitting in front of me and I want to try a pair of open baffle speakers for my computer. The baffle will be made from 3/4" birch ply and the base will be 3/4" MDF. The dimensions I have now are 14" tall, 6" wide. I will be putting the driver 1.5" from the top, and offsetting it 1" from the side so no sides are equidistant. Because it's plywood I'd rather not roundover the baffle. I will be using a 45" chamfer on the back of the cutout to let the woofer breathe. I did a test with cardboard this size and it's really lacking bass so I will be adding a small sub and cutting ~150hz off from the Hi-Vis.

Aside from what I mentioned, are there any other suggestions? These will be on top of my computer desk and will only be about 1 to 1.5 feet from the wall.

Thanks!
Old 6th March 2005, 03:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
In the nearfield I wouldn't use multiple drivers unless you are going to use 5 or 6 per speaker and make a small array. Small OB arrays are great at your desk IMO (huge sound for at your desk).

Also, Linkwitz says center the drivers, which looks better to me anyway. The rectangular shape give plenty of variable distance around the baffle. Plus your monitor is going to change the effective baffle width anyway on that side of the speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!