stain for baltic birch ply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
use a pre stain conditioner to minimize splotching (minwax and others make it). Birch tends to absorb stain unevenly. this is more of a problem with darker stains. Aslo seal well before applying your finish.

Use lots of good sandpaper - working up to at least 220 grit before putting anything on the wood. Tack rag/vacuum between grits.

Lots of choices for topcoats. What level of gloss are you after? I presume that you will be brushing or wiping on a finish. I prefer a traditional nitrocellulose laquer, probably because that's what I've used most of. It's easier to rub out than poly, although poly is probably more durable.

slappomatt said:
i just finished a pair of omega grande 6 clones for a freind and would like to stain them in something easy to use that is light stain or clear. any recomendations? tia!

This is what baltic birch ply looks like after several coats of Minwax Natural:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just make sure to use sanding sealer 1st and coat with something protective afterwards. I just used Minwax sanding sealer, I think they call it "Conditioner", and some Varathane clear for final coats.

well i finish sanded with 240. although i have some 360 i could use. they are by no means works of art, just wanted to do something to finish them. would kinda of like a little stain but not too dark. think the tack rag is a good idea, there is still dust in the cracks.

ups forgot:
I´m not sure what baltic exactly means but with birch ply I´ve used tung/danish oil which leaves it looking very clear and natural.
If you want something more durable and glossy I also like water-based parquet lacquer (Clou) which doesn´t darken the wood.

Baltic birch finish..

Baltic birch ply is a relatively dense, but "voidless" plywood, often 19 layers or plys per inch. Some people may refer to hardwood ply w/birch veneer as "birchply".

I recently made a pair of open baffles with hardwood ply (birch veneer). I have done quite a bit of internet research on this topic.

Someplace I recall that the site author suggested using a damp rag to moisten the wood and make it more likely to accept a water based stain. Some other sites maintain that birch is easy to get a good finish on. One thing I am going to try is a water based urethane with some pigmant added. A sort of "colour wash". If you want darker, just apply additional coats, making sure to scuff the previous coat, and always use a tack rag., Those who suggested a sanding sealer or such are right on the money as far as prestaining or colouring birch.

But alas my poor OBs will probably never get a finish, as JE's OBs aren't finished either (I simply don't want to shut them down or change speakers long enough to do the required finishing:-(

good luck

Attachments

• spkr6l.jpg
    spkr6l.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 500
Two products which I like for baltic birch are Benite, which warms up the wood color and darkens it a shade, and Deft brand lacquer which can give an incredible finish if you sand between coats and get the knack of applying liberally (but not too liberally).

Benite is really easy to put on and is both a sealer and a protectant. After applying it you can sand the wood as smooth as you care to.

And don't forget plain old wax-free shellac as a sealer.

sorry for the late responce, but better late then never right? well i havent started to finish these yet, but im on second shift this coming week so i should have some time in the mornings. i like that one picture of the minwax satin clear. as for my clones. the port is listed as 3" so thats what i used. kinda guessed at the length. i just made the box to the outside dims of the grande 6. probably off a decent amount on the internal volume. as i later noticed that they use double and triple baffles which i didnt. but they still sound awsome. need to brace the insides a bit and add some dampner, so well see from there. :)

as for my clones. the port is listed as 3" so thats what i used. kinda guessed at the length. i just made the box to the outside dims of the grande 6. probably off a decent amount on the internal volume. as i later noticed that they use double and triple baffles which i didnt.
Thanks. Now I see they give almost every detail on their site.:rolleyes:
21.78l inner volume minus the extra baffles minus some bracing.
18-20l?
Gonna try it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.