Fostex PS200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the replys.

GM -- Have you listened to them? I'm relatively new at this, but I thought the FR plot looked better than some comparable drivers (beyma 8agn, ciare ch250, and visaton b200) which have gotten reasonable reviews. Am I missing something?

Thanks, John.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

No, but I have lots of experience with this type of driver and with no decoupling rings it will not only begin beaming rather quickly, causing poor off axis response just like the plot shows, but will also be poorly damped in its mass controlled BW (> ~212Hz) due to its high Qts. This is obvious from the rising on axis response and near flat 30 deg off axis response out to where it transfers to the whizzer around 3kHz. Then there's the big hole in the off axis response due to the whizzer shrouding the diaphragm......

No doubt that a super tweeter and some serious tweaking could improve it, but at this price if I have to add a ST/tweak it, then I'd rather start with a pretty decent el cheapo driver such as the Pioneer B20, which has a lower Fs, Qts, and decoupling rings, all for only ~$50/pr. plus shipping. At this price you can buy the STs, XO parts and add some decent helper woofers and still have less in the lot than the cost of these.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.