Jordan JX02S Horn or TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just took receipt of these speakers and am debating how best to house them. Looking for a bit of feedback from someone who has house these in a horn. I found this one: http://homepages.compuserve.de/ulrichhaumann/jx92/jx_plan.jpg

..that I am leaning toward, but....I don't have much experience with either horn or TL.

Music: Jazz, blues, rock (in order of preferrence)
Amp: 40 watt kt88
Living room 20x20

I know there are no definative answers, just looking for some opinions.

Thanks

I haven't experienced that driver but generally horns will bring the music straight to your face :D. TLs are usually more restrained with deeper bass. Depends if you like your music lively or laid back, amongst other things. I prefer the horn sound by a small margin.

Try the TL first. It is much easier to build.

The JX92 is an amazing speaker, which has great parameters and can be used in a closed, BR or horn cabinet, but at the frequency extremes it has a not so tight bass and a very fast fallen off-axis response.

I have heard both, and lived with the TL for 2 years. IMHO a horn or TL doesn't change the bass resonse 'tightness' that much.

So I would suggest taking the easy way, build the TL, and see if you like the JX92S.

If you decide to build the horn take two things in consideration:

1. Due to the offaxis response the horn has to be tilted
2. The desing is from 1993 and later on a RCL was added. See www.hifisound.de

Regards,

Gerben

I second Gerben's opinion. I have heard both (Timmermann's spiral horn and EJJ's original TML) and preferred the TML by far. This is not because I don't like horn sound in general, but the TML was much tighter, faster and much easier to pair with different amps.

The horn sounded really bad with SS amps (the bass was awful) und moderate with really good valves, while the TML sounded good with both.

Just my 0.02EUR,

Oliver

Yes, yes, you're right...
But that PDF isn't so good because there are at least two faults in there...
First, it doesn't contain a parts list.
And second, there has to be a part no. 5a, which isn't shown in the drawing...

As I wrote in different threads to the JX92S, I'm willed to send out different PDF- files containing the whole article.
But the PDFs are german, and part dimensions are given in mm, instead of inches (naturally)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.