Coral Mini Monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coral Mini Monitors Cont'd

Design is a very simple butt jointed box using reclaimed half inch oak for the cabinet. I could try and say something like the sonics of this wood was found to be superior to anything else. Truth is I have a father who restores antiques and he had some readily available, and who can turn down free Oak?

The dimensions are roughly 9h x 6w x 7d. The bass port is 1.5" dia x 2.75" length. The drivers are Coral Fe103 clones. A wooden phase plugs from Dave at planet10-hifi.com have been added. Binding posts are from parts express and are their Dayton brand versions. Internal wiring is 20ga teflon coated silver. I have added round screens over the drivers to appease my better half. She thought the drivers resembled breasts in a chilly room. I thought that was rather flattering but in the end she prevailed.

- Kerry

Mini Monitors Cont'd

The speakers have an incredibly live sound. There is no additional coloring to the voices or instruments. The caveat to this is that below maybe 90hz you don't get much, which is understandable due t the small size. I have added an 8 inch subwoofer that mesh's great with them.

All in all I am very happy with my first DIY speaker project. It should be noted that satisfaction is in the ears of the beholder so your mileage may vary.

- Kerry

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pic 1..

Attachments

• fronts-open-driver.jpg
    fronts-open-driver.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 728
Firstly, thanks to Dave for posting the pics for me. Secondly,I really like these speakers. Are they the first thing in sound reproduction. . . no. I do know that when my wife and I were test listening "prettier" high end monitor speakers she was the one that informed the salesman that my home builts sounded better.

Well, I have a set of the Foster 10F3's that planet 10 dave has done the special treatment on and they sound great. I also have a set of the Coral's that dave is in the process of doing right now and I will be using them in a multi-way from 1000-10K. I chose to use the Corals because to my ears, they sound better than the Foster's

By the way dave, any update on those yet? How's the butyl cellosolve working out?

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.