Another Aura NS3 PC Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even though you call them "test boxes" it looks nice enough to me..

How do they sound compared to the 871, looks like they have more bass?

Thanks. Yes they do have more bass, a lot more. 5mm Xmax! Very smooth and easy to listen to. My initial reaction was that they don't have the same top end as the 871 but it's not missing much. I've thought about a super tweeter but for most listening they're fine.

I like the diamond orientation of the driver -- did you borrow that idea from Scott (i'm sure it was used before that -- i'm sure i used it before that --but pictures of Scott's stick in my brain)

Thanks Dave. It was a combination of things. When I discovered the terminals are at one of the points of the frame I remembered seeing Scott's diamond mounting so it seemed the right thing to do.

bwbass said:
Aha! So you're a southpaw! :)

Kidding aside, nice job! Is the diamond mounting to reduce diffraction effects, or just for looks? I assume you didn't bother recessing the frame...

Thanks. Just for looks. No recess for the flat pin frame. It might be nice to put some type of diffraction ring around it though.

morbo said:
Very nice! Love the orientation, and I normally hate those frames. Did you put in any BSC?

Thank you. Nope, no BSC. I tuned the cab to have a slight rise toward the low end so it's very full sounding. It's nice to get away with a mechanical solution when possible.

bwbass said:
How's the volume/dynamics with your setup? By my (rough) math t-amp + ns3 = 88 db max SPL...right?

Sure. The little T-amp isn't going to fill the room but I'm only sitting a couple of feet away. I've tested them in my HT setup (110w/ch solid state) and my music setup (35w/ch tube) and they can produce surprisingly well. If you couldn't see them you would think a much larger speaker was playing. Good imaging too.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MotoMan_Yz400 said:
I was wondering, anyone know of a good cheap source for these? I'm planning to purchase 32 of them. The the cheapest I found is $17.55/ea. So thats over $560 for the mess. The forecast for cost is going to be around $1200 or so, so cutting any costs would be nice. Thanks

If you want to get that many i might be able to help out... mail me.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.