OB Horn Basszilla - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2005, 08:09 PM   #1
johnb is offline johnb  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default OB Horn Basszilla

I am very interessted in the Basszilla but since the fullragedriver sits in ob how critical is the position to the rear wall. I think with my wife approvalI will get abouty 2 feet from the back vall will that be enough?
While in on it I currently have a MT TL with fe 207E wich i like allot but the don't image and dissaper as I would like will and the upper bass is somewhat recessed.

Will theese tvo shortcommings be cured best by
1. The Baszilla
2. A horn with a 8 Fostexdriver

Other suggestions are also very welcomed

John
Old 27th January 2005, 10:30 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

>OB Horn Basszilla Post #1
I am very interessted in the Basszilla but since the fullragedriver sits in ob how critical is the position to the rear wall. I think with my wife approvalI will get abouty 2 feet from the back vall will that be enough?
====
Depends on whether you prefer the added ambiance of all those reflections. If not, then hang a thick decorative rug or damping panel behind them. It is also a good idea to angle them so no strong eigenmodes (standing waves) can develop between them and the wall.
====
>While in on it I currently have a MT TL with fe 207E wich i like allot but the don't image and dissaper as I would like will and the upper bass is somewhat recessed.

Will theese tvo shortcommings be cured best by
1. The Baszilla
2. A horn with a 8 Fostexdriver
====
Yes, but have you tried adding baffle step compensation (BSC) to flatten its in-room response?

GM
Old 28th January 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Thanks to Wife/Spouse Approval Factor I have my Basszillas on wheels.
With the baffle about 18' to 2 feet from the wall (back of cabinet almost against wall), they sound quite good for background music.

For good listening I generally roll the cabinet out so the baffles are about 3' from the wall and at an angle.

4-5' start to sound incredible.

Wall covering behind them would help a LOT if it were done right.

You would need a bass box for OB or horn midrange- why not make the bass box, very nicely, then make a quick open baffle with
an unfinished piece of MDF and see how it sounds.
Darn, you would still have to make the crossover- and thats not cheap!

A horn is probably less affected by being close to the wall

Quote:
the added ambiance of all those reflections
is the enemy of imaging if they are very close in time to the original sound!
Old 28th January 2005, 04:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is the enemy of imaging if they are very close in time to the original sound!
Agreed, but I never cease to be amazed at how many folks prefer it, to the point of putting in a rear firing tweeter in some cases.

GM
Old 28th January 2005, 07:47 PM   #5
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Because it is a dipole, I believe that there are a lot less reflections to the side which is a benefit to imaging. So the basszilla isn't necessarily in the "ambiance" camp.

My point (and yours too I believe) was that it is one of those annoying trade-offs that audio is filled with. The nice thing about the OB Basszilla is that IF you get the speaker far enough away from the wall, the reflections are later in time and lower in magnitude than the original. This combined with less sound to the side reflecting off the side walls, and back through the speaker cone (as in a box speaker) , gives you a good compromise.
Old 29th January 2005, 03:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Any dipole that is used above its point source BW is in the 'ambiance' camp since the reflections most detrimental to imaging/soundstaging is this BW, and why having them well away from any boundaries is required for best performance.

No, my point is that many (most?) folks prefer the reflective ambiance more than imaging/soundstaging, just as they prefer the 'ringing' distortion of an underdamped BR 'sub'/midbass system.

Yes, until the horn's mouth loses control of the air column it won't interact with any boundaries outside its wall angle defined vertical/horizontal polar response, so ideally you want a vertical/horizontal response that doesn't cause any reflections in front of the listening position down to where the room dominates, or at least somewhat below our acute hearing BW.

GM
Old 29th January 2005, 04:14 AM   #7
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

It was sort of mentioned earlier, but what about trying to absorb some of the back wave. I'm not talking about wall treatments, something in the vein of hanging an absorbive panel directly behind the driver. How well would this work? What specific frequency range needs to be tamed?
Old 29th January 2005, 09:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It works very well and my preference, but I've had so many clueless 'experts' say it mostly defeats the purpose of using dipoles that I don't bother to mention it anymore.

The BW above where dipole cancellation ceases.

GM
Old 29th January 2005, 09:25 PM   #9
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that.
Old 30th January 2005, 10:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is what I've done for absorbing a bit of the back wave. Seems to work reasonably well. These are around 2 feet from the back wall (and pretty close to blocking the front door of the house).

-Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ob_back_wall_absorber.jpg (51.3 KB, 1150 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!