fullrange, compact and good bass possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to build a pair of speakers to use with my PC. I have the Sonic Impact T-amp to power the system and I was looking into using a fullrange driver as they seem to be the most efficient. The fostex range are the ones I'm most interested in (6.5" or 8").

Now my problem is I need the speaker cabinets to be compact enough to use on my desktop but I also want good quality sound with at least decent bass response (55hz). After reading a load of threads I'm beginning to realise this might be too much to ask as all I see is mention of horn loaded speakers and transmission lines.

So what I want to know is how realistic is it to get a good sound (ie. decent bass extension, good mids and treble) from a fostex fe127e or fe207e in a small-ish cabinet? And what would be the best small cabinet type to use (BR/TL/something totally unique etc)?

Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks

axebeatz said:
The J92s are just not efficient enough for the amp (it's only 5watts into 8ohms), and they're quite expensive too. They do look nice though.

You would be surprised. Something you need to factor in is how close your listening distance is - in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could acceptably use even lower eff. speakers than the Jordan and still have acceptable SPL's. Note you'll also need a bucking magnet or a shielded magnet driver for computer use.

Josephjcole said:

I could be wrong but I think the three choices are: efficiency, bass extension, and size. I don't think good sound comes into the picture.
correct me if I'm wrong.
Joe

Actually- you're completely right. This whole conversation was about size and I knew it.. I feel like such a dunce!

If I could add sound quality to the equation, I would like to suggest that it's possible to build a fairly sensitive box that's small and plays low- but with horrible sound quality. Think of those "one note wonders" you hear driving down the road. That's what I'm talking about- but thanks for correcting me, I should have said size !

I´ve heard the Fostex FE-167 recommended enclosure (15liter) makes a nice near- midfield-monitor.
That of course needs quite a big desk...
I´m gonna test that driver in 15liter very soon and can let you know if you´re interested.

You could also have a look at the little T-line someone built with the Fe-107 (locust).
Listening in the nearfield changes power requirements quite heavily so...

axebeatz said:

So what I want to know is how realistic is it to get a good sound (ie. decent bass extension, good mids and treble) from a fostex fe127e or fe207e in a small-ish cabinet?

Place them close to a rear wall. I use a pair of FE-103's in a small reflex enclosure. Stand-mounted with only about 3cm's between the rear of the speaker and the rear of the speaker cabinet makes them sound very "grown-up".

How small is "small" ?

Keeping the fs of such a driver in mind, it can be hard to achieve 55 Hz. With a total volume of 7 lt, 40 cm TL length, 49 cm sq. cross-section area, placing port at the back, light damping and 4.5 lt of rear chamber, it may be possible to reach 65 Hz with a Fostex FE103E. It can give an idea of the low frequencies, but just the idea. They love to be placed at the corners on my desk, but at work, I don't have that luxary, so a little EQ help can give a similar result in return of some fidelity.

Hi,
Maybe this is a little over the top for a computer system, but I like the idea and I'm a bit tempted to have a go myself if I get the time one day. How about using horns, but integrate a pair into a desk joining the two speaker cabinets, like the picture? and just sit the bottom of the cabs on the floor to support the desk and monitor etc.
Steve

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 470
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.