I'm going to throw up now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been working on a new open baffle prject for a couple of weeks.

I had finished mounting two 15" Pyle woofers in the first baffle and was in the middle of mounting my Supravox 215 Signature Bicone driver when I started thinking about how wonderful Stan Getz, Bill Evans, et al were going to sound on the new setup...

Then I stuck my screwdriver through the Supravox cone :bawling: :bigeyes:

$#@%#$%@$*&%$

I'll let you all know how good the Supravox America repair services are.

Sheeeze... what a bonehead!!

I can feel your pain!!!

My moronic moment this week... :

Offered to fix a Rel Quake subwoofer humm problem...(had read online that a simple ground wire from some iron plate to earth wire of mains plug would solve it)

So here I had one part of the crocodile clip connected to ground....and with the other side touched the heat sink of a transistor ...LOUD BANG....that fixed the HUMM allright...it is dead quiet now...
:cannotbe: :cannotbe:

Here you go...

Here's what I've been working on. It's very similar to, and I got the idea from, Mentero on this forum.

I'm sure it will sound nice... I'll just have to wait a little while now to find out!!

Attachments

• ob1.jpg
    ob1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 941
The word...

Just got off the phone with David Levinson of Supravox America.

As an aside, David is very good to do business with. He is very responsive, does an excellent job of keeping his customers informed and is a joy to talk music with.

Anyway, David said it will cost $125 to repair the damage (not bad considering) but the driver will have to be sent back to the factory in France... average turn around time via UPS ground ~6 weeks. Can cut it down to one week if I ship air but will cost significantly more.

In my view, cost of shipping via air = price of stupidity tax.

It'll have to be by air, I can't wait 6 weeks!!

... and I promise not to play with sharp objects around my speakers anymore :whazzat:

Yeah, I'm sure most speaker builders have done this once in their lifetime. I did this a while back and ended up fixing it with some silicon caulk, which seemed to work fine, although they weren't as high end a driver as the Supravox. I hope it all works out for you.
Joe

The closer to the end of a project, the bigger the mistakes seem to be

Sharing your pain, humbling as it might be, is a kind gift.

The most painful lessons are the best teachers. But hopefully we can learn from the mistakes of others, and you've given us another opportunity.

I've learned to only use square drive screws mounting drivers, they're cheap. Lumber yards carry a large variety, even small head, "finish screws"... perfect for tweeters. Also look for 'Kreg pocket hole screws' they are self tapping, with built-in washer.

I've done the same thing while changing a diaphragm in a JBL 2445J. I had all of the screws loosened, and the magnet grabbed my screwdriver (I was distracted by someone) and punched a hole in the diaphragm. $81 down the tube. I have also glued a cone on to a basket (JBL 2241HPL) with the lead wires facing the wrong way. Talk about a boneheaded move! I didn't realize it until the glue had dried, so I have to cut the cone kit out and start over.
Needless to say, it happens to everyone sooner or later. All you can do is move on and learn from your mistakes. Best of luck with your speakers.

Cheers,
Zach

Sorry guys,

Can't help it, but these story's put a :D on my face (but i'm :bawling: on the inside, honest), just hope it never happens to me.

Looks like you've started an "Audio Blooper" thread.

Anyway, hope everything works out allright. And when those speakers sound as good as they look, you'll forget about it in no time, excellent work.:up:

Jerry T.

Im trying desprately to avoid the screwdriver-through-the-driver syndrome myself. They dont make my woofers anymore.

Anyone know where I can get BRASS philips head sheet metal screws? I can find silver philips.. or slotted brass.. but not philips brass. :xeye:

Philips head screws dont slip out as easily as others.

phase_accurate said:
There is one interesting observation: These things never happen with $ 5.- components !

Regards

Charles

Oh yes they do, you just dont care when it happens, at least not as much as with 500$ drivers.

i painfully remember the time i leened over my speakers fo fasten the cables, not really knowing how strong tweeter magnetic fields are..
my wallet chain smashed my beautiful silk come, smothered it completly :whazzat:

i'v done the same with my new ones as well, but luckily these seem to pop out again.

I sympathize with you usekgb.

-marius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.