TangBand Suggestions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2005, 07:23 AM   #1
huey_st is offline huey_st  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default TangBand Suggestions...

Hi there,

I'm building a set of surrounds and was wondering if anyone would suggest mixing an W3-871 with a W4-657 in a 9.5 L box? Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? I'm trying to think up of a filter that would work for this setup.... Any help would be great!

I originally planned dual 871's in the box with a 1.5 mH inductor and a 4 ohms resistor in series with the lower driver (baffle step, and more fill). But I have heard pretty good things about the 657..... 300% more Xmax then the 871, can't hurt. I've made the boxes and I'm so close to cutting the baffles but want some secondary opinions.....I'm a newbie with the crossovers...

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2098.jpg (23.0 KB, 372 views)
Old 26th January 2005, 03:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think the 657 is a great speaker with some decent bass, and would make a very good combo with the 871.

But I also think most other people would suggest a larger woofer instead? Seeing as the 871 can go down to around 120Hz or so, why get a woofer that can go up to 2k+, and doesnt get that low (45hz I think) ?

But if you cross low it will require large inductors..

Anyway I think its a great idea and might look really good. Someone more knowledgable can suggest a crossover point.
Old 26th January 2005, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas997
I think the 657 is a great speaker with some decent bass, and would make a very good combo with the 871.

But I also think most other people would suggest a larger woofer instead? Seeing as the 871 can go down to around 120Hz or so, why get a woofer that can go up to 2k+, and doesnt get that low (45hz I think) ?

But if you cross low it will require large inductors..

Anyway I think its a great idea and might look really good. Someone more knowledgable can suggest a crossover point.
I found the 657 to have a tiresome peak in the upper mids after a few hours of listening. It could work if crossed over below that peak. However, for about the same price you can use a W5-704S which is a wonderful little woofer with a very wide FR. A little OT for a full ranger discussion but a 2nd order XO with the 871 and 704 has the potential of being a nice budget speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!