Full range minimonitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Jordans won best of show at the Atlanta DIY event, which was voted on by everybody there. To be honest I've never heard the Jordan by itself, but I was impressed by Jim's design. But with all respect to Jim's design I was not exactly blown away by any of the other designs there. If your interested in more bass out of your Jordan why not check out some of the MLTL designs that GM has put out?
just a thought.
Joe

Also at the price you pay for that Jordan 5" you can get any HQ 5" like W15CY for example which has similar sensitivity, slightly higher impedance and similar bass extension with possibly lower distortion and stored energy.

From talk on the net and the data I´ve seen on the Jordan I am very curious how good it is on its own though. Can be interesting to have a transient perfect monitor as a reference when designing crossovers for multiway speakers.

Damn.. this thread was about collecting info for my friends project and now it looks like I´m about to shell out cash for yet another pair of drivers.. this is insane.. :D

/Peter

Very Few commercial designs using the JX92 Try looking up Eikos Review HiFi Choice Dec 1997 ~ very accurate enthusiastic review but bear in mind the 92 has been modified since then & is a lot smoother sounding
Personally I think I prefer the pre-mod version - (without shielding) there was a lot more jaw dropping from visitors when these were plugged in as well.

Either would serve well as a reference monitor

Maybe one day I will get on with a TL / Horn but in meantime I just listen

The Jordans won best of show at the Atlanta DIY event, which was voted on by everybody there. To be honest I've never heard the Jordan by itself, but I was impressed by Jim's design.
FYI, JG's first Jordan 'best of show' was at the 2001 Meet with a 0.25ft^3 BR tuned to 55Hz? and BSC filter (1.5mH, parallel 4 ohm IIRC).

Anyway, if a LFE sub is used, then the Jordan has enough Xmax to allow a small sealed cab.

GM

Jordan JX92S Atlanta Best of Show

Greg (GM),

My full range Jordan JX92S mini-monitor design won first place in 2001. The Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon mini-monitor design won best of show last fall (2004).

For the application mentioned in this thread the JX92S the 0.25 cu. ft. cabinet would allow a ported design (I get a 55 Hz F3 point) or if you stuff the port you'll have a 75 Hz or so sealed box). The ported design would satisty the needs expressed in the original request. Given the JX92S is shielded, it would make a killer computer speaker/near field monitor in that 0.25 cu. ft. box.

Jim

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Jordan JX92S Atlanta Best of Show

Jim Griffin said:
Greg (GM),

My full range Jordan JX92S mini-monitor design won first place in 2001. The Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon mini-monitor design won best of show last fall (2004).

For the application mentioned in this thread the JX92S the 0.25 cu. ft. cabinet would allow a ported design (I get a 55 Hz F3 point) or if you stuff the port you'll have a 75 Hz or so sealed box). The ported design would satisty the needs expressed in the original request. Given the JX92S is shielded, it would make a killer computer speaker/near field monitor in that 0.25 cu. ft. box.

Jim

I agree with this. I loved the JX92S 0.25 cu ft for a full range mini-monitor. I would built a new pair (sold my old pair to a friend) if the price of the JX92S didn't go up so much. (I paid $160 for a pair a couple of years ago, and now they are $150 each)

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.