Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have finished my Viech speakers and tested them with my new and shiny lm3875 gainclone, i survived to the first test (i still have earache -this things are insane...so very powerful :hot: but i would like to improve the highs as i find the setup to be lacking detail.

i have called my local speaker store, and they have the following tweeters for ~33€ each

CP12N
CP16

now, my questions are... would the tweeters improve the overall detail if i couple them with my viech boxes?? and finally...can someone help me out figuring out the filter values in case i go ahead with the purchase?

mekanoplastik said:
...would like to improve the highs as i find the setup to be lacking detail.

Hi

spectrumaudio.de recommends another driver instead of the Beyma:
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/sica/sicaLP208.38.1100.html
performing better mid's and high's.
and a little better bass http://www.spectrumaudio.de/bausatz/viech.html
scroll down....

there's also a thread in an german forum about this driver in the vieh:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-104-12884.html

Haven't tried this for myself...I'm looking for another variant for this speaker...with some what better "WAF".
:bigeyes: ...will be something like a BR or so.....probably the recommended 35l liter are something from the replikon-theory (what would result a larger cabinett anyway....)

joern, thank you for your help, i am now debating on spending 150e on the new cones, buying the tweeters and experiment..or just forget about it and enjoying the vieches awhile until i can afford a higher end system. :confused:

i would like to experiment but i dont want to spend 70€ on tweeters and then realize it wasnt worth the money...

Greetings from Portugal!

I´m afraid this thread isn´t alive anymore,but I was wondering if I could get some advice from several "viech" builders?
Here it goes...
I´ve sort of finished building a pair,just one of the side panels not glued yet due to experimentation with insulation material(just hanging in place with two clamps),and they
sound absolutely marvelous!Never heard anything like them,they´re detailed,warm sounding,no mid shouting character,nice airy tops(don´t need no tweeters!),very relaxed,in one word,BEAUTIFUL!I was really affraid my onkyo receiver would fail being a match to these speakers,but this sounds like a match made in heaven!
But there´s one thing that´s annoying me a bit,bass is very very light and almost non exhistant,and this is where I need some help.I´ve tried the 5th damping variant that´s shown in a pdf regarding the viech building instructions.Behind the speaker,on top and on the sides i´ve used foam,but below the speaker there´s a piece of rockwool tucked nicely between all the foam.I´ve tried removing it,but overhall,it seemed to sound better
with the rockwool in place.
Another question relies on the importance of the side panel not being glued yet,does it influence bass a lot?
What do you use to isolate the speaker from the floor?Do you recommend something like Atacama gel pads or plain old spikes?Surely all that speaker playing directly coupled to the ceramic floor on my living roommust be doing something nasty to the sound!
Other than this small problem,they´ve pushed my wharfedale diamond 8.1´s aside! :)

Thank you everybody in advance for any replies!

bubuxxl,

Damping inside the horn is meant to prevent resonance and midrange leak out of the horn (coming from the back of the driver). It can hardly affect bass response. It's more likely to change the balance because it attenuates the mids, so there's apparent more bass.

Sound = variable air pressure. In a horn, all the bass cares about is seal, to ensure correct high pressure (throat)->low pressure (mouth) transfer, which will achieve the potential output of the design. If you're sure you've got the side panel to make a perfectly sealed sound path for the horn, it won't get any better.

I have built this design and found it to be a bit disappointing, after all the hype here. Although the sound is responsive and easy to listen, indeed the bass response is not all that, and it's basic laws of physics. This horn is too small for adequate bass response, probably combined with the driver. It's the price you pay for efficiency of the driver and size of the horn.

Hi bubuxxl,
I found this project recently.

I want to build a high eficiency speaker.

Did you finish yours "viech"?
Did you by Beimas in Portugal?

Best regards

Hello there!
Indeed,I´ve just finished the viech project and the drivers were bought from an online store from Barcelona,I think,spent about 19euros on each driver,really cheap!

I don´t know if I can state the online store here...
but let me tell you this,it was my first diy project and albeit being a somewhat old project and maybe a bit fortgotten,it sure is one of the best surprises I´ve ever had regarding quality/price ratio!

Go for it and believe me,results are guaranteed!These loudspeakers just drowns us into the music,beautiful!

Question; There is a file with alternative versions of Das Viech, unafortunately I cannot find it. Could someone point out where it can be found?

EDIT; found it :S
sinus-pollux.de/beta/dasviechneu.pdf

Center versions, 'lean' versions, etc to be found in the file..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.