Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech" - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 10:20 AM   #91
diyAudio Member
 
hifisucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Germany,17039 Wulkenzin OT Neuendorf
I dont think this would help... if you had too much bass then yes... I put a rest of carpet underneath...
I made very good experience with Dynavox D 126 material... polyesther wool...
Maybe your stuffing is too thick and blocks all the bass off???
I read egg shaped foam... this is not good I think... foam does not let frequenzies thruogh... it blocks them off...try this dynavox - it is not expensive... 2 packages... and experiment...

Last edited by hifisucks; 19th April 2011 at 10:25 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 01:03 PM   #92
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuxxl View Post
sorry about taking so long to reply...I still haven“t managed to solve the bass problem,it really is very bass shy!
I have the foam thing just behind the speaker and some wool fill just under the driver,but still,no significant improvements...
I made a pair of Viechs with and for a friend. We used the method recommended by Cyburgs (once upon a time on a german diy forum) as it seems to work best: a tightly packed small roll of damping material just below the driver in the cabinet (you can easily unscrew the driver to adjust if required). And NO further damping in the horn !
This works really well. Of course, the PA driver of the Viech isn't designed for really low frequencies, but what is there comes out dry and fast. You can also put them somewhat near a corner (experiment to adjust) to increase the bass volume.

My one remark about the viech is that the Beyma, though sounding remarkably musical, lacks sparkle in the high frequencies. I'm pushing my friend to add a simple supertweeter, crossing at say 9000 hertz (to experiment with as well)
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 03:05 PM   #93
diyAudio Member
 
hifisucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Germany,17039 Wulkenzin OT Neuendorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
I made a pair of Viechs with and for a friend. We used the method recommended by Cyburgs (once upon a time on a german diy forum) as it seems to work best: a tightly packed small roll of damping material just below the driver in the cabinet (you can easily unscrew the driver to adjust if required). And NO further damping in the horn !
This works really well. Of course, the PA driver of the Viech isn't designed for really low frequencies, but what is there comes out dry and fast. You can also put them somewhat near a corner (experiment to adjust) to increase the bass volume.

My one remark about the viech is that the Beyma, though sounding remarkably musical, lacks sparkle in the high frequencies. I'm pushing my friend to add a simple supertweeter, crossing at say 9000 hertz (to experiment with as well)
No simple super tweeter!!! Just cut out the dust cap and get or make a phase plug...Its really all you will need...
Greets,Christoph
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 03:21 PM   #94
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
No simple super tweeter!!! Just cut out the dust cap and get or make a phase plug...Its really all you will need...
I can imagine that would increase the treble a bit, but the Viech could use some more precise detail in the higher frequencies than what the humble Beyma can produce, hence I expect more sound profit by adding a supertweeter.

Something else, my own speakers are 65 litres BRs with the Beyma 8BX coax driver. Really happy with them. These experiences and some comments I read here and there make me think that it's in general a pretty good brand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 11:25 AM   #95
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
well,it“s been quite some time since the last post but,here it goes... I“ve been fiddling a lot with positioning,stuffing,damping,etc,and the only thing that really solved the bass problem (for me) was something really stupid...I had the drivers only held in place by two wood screws,top and bottom,and besides flexing the chassis,I noticed that they were too tight agaisnt the baffle.I regarded the sound as being too thin and ugly dry,but this happened because the baffle was vibrating like a mad bell!I simply unscrewed the drivers a bit so that the rubber seals would not be squashed against the baffle as well as not allowing any air to escape from the coupling.The result was astonishing since I was getting really annoyed!Though not really really deep,it“s on par with bass levels produced by a good stand mount monitor and now I can even follow bass lines with well recorded material!
As a result of my unnoticed stupidity,the mid“s and high“s on the beyma improved significantly as well!

A good friend helped out with the tweeter (Thank you Carlomar!),a pair of Dayton“s ND20FA and voilį,a truly outstanding loudspeaker!
This is really an excellent project and beware,where I bought the beymas the price has already increased from 18euros to 28euros!That must mean something right?Get them while you can and build these amazing speakers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 09:12 PM   #96
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I“ve been tweaking a lot with the viech and managed to squeeze some more bass from them.We all know that all this depends on the room setup and equipment,but I can honestly say to viech builders that this can work (it did on my setup).

I simply created some sort of compression chamber (don“t know if this is the exact definition),by adding just below the driver, a kind of a lid,leaving just 2,5cm of space between it and the board where we usually apply (according to the viech“s plans) the egg crate foam.
This is all pretty subjective because it“s all down to each and everyones tastes,but now,bass sounds more deep and controled.It also solved a midbass peak and now it sounds more balanced,to my taste of course!

Maybe now it sounds less like a horn,(mids and high“s are quieter),but for me it worked wonders!

I haven“t used any calculations but I guess there“s even more room for improvement (for example,getting more space behind the driver).
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 09:30 PM   #97
diyAudio Member
 
carlomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: lisbon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuxxl View Post
... this happened because the baffle was vibrating like a mad bell!I simply unscrewed the drivers a bit so that the rubber seals would not be squashed against the baffle as well as not allowing any air to escape from the coupling.
Hi Bubuxxl,

On my speakers i also used this trick to reduce the vibration of the panels.

Glad to see that you continues to develop your Viech

regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 07:55 AM   #98
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Hi Carlomar!

Feel free to drop by to listen to them!It“s been a long time since our last conversation!
For a total cost of about 150 euros,they sure play like something more expensive!perhaps not as good as your diy“s but they handle themselves quite well!
keep in touch friend!
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 05:55 PM   #99
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Fiddling, fiddling and more fiddling...

The beyma“s have really nice mids, but for aproximately 2 years, I“ve been trying to squeeze out some bass out of them and without success...
I tried bass traps, as I know that acoustics are everything, put them in corners, close to walls, far from walls, tried to add a compression chamber of some sort, different kinds of stuffing, suppra baffle... nothing happened.

It sounds very sweet and after removing the dustcap, I simply ditched the tweeter and everything, but there“s absolutely no bass foundation to the music, there“s no weight, and I“m not and never was a bass freak... they sound just too damn dry.

Time to move on then... 80kgs of speaker boxes to put aside. I“ve lost the war...
Such a shame, they showed me things that I have never heard...
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 05:30 AM   #100
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuxxl View Post
Fiddling, fiddling and more fiddling...

The beyma“s have really nice mids, but for aproximately 2 years, I“ve been trying to squeeze out some bass out of them and without success...
I tried bass traps, as I know that acoustics are everything, put them in corners, close to walls, far from walls, tried to add a compression chamber of some sort, different kinds of stuffing, suppra baffle... nothing happened.

It sounds very sweet and after removing the dustcap, I simply ditched the tweeter and everything, but there“s absolutely no bass foundation to the music, there“s no weight, and I“m not and never was a bass freak... they sound just too damn dry.

Time to move on then... 80kgs of speaker boxes to put aside. I“ve lost the war...
Such a shame, they showed me things that I have never heard...
Don't give up yet and try a different driver in that cabinet ! Many builders had good experience with that.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flatter than flat. PHL 10" and Beyma 1,4" Lindell Multi-Way 24 18th May 2009 08:51 PM
ToneTubby 12" AlNiCo OB + Beyma CP380M Horn Project nullspace Multi-Way 6 21st April 2009 01:06 AM
Grill Material for Stan White "Curled" Horn Reproduction rlabomb Multi-Way 0 26th May 2008 02:24 PM
Data of Isophon DKT11 "Exponential-Hochtonstraler", treble horn peranders Multi-Way 3 10th December 2002 08:13 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2