Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all,
I want to show my newest construction, an exponential back-loaded horn for the Beyma 8AG/N fullrange driver.
The sensitivity of the speaker is 96 dB/W/m and the RMS power rating is 35W, so the SPLmax is near 120 dB. Thats the reason for nicknaming this horn "das Viech", which means something like "the animal".
- This horn speaker is incredible powerful and dynamic and seduces to play really loud. The sound doesn't get annoying with the volume, just louder. :D
- The Fb is somewhere between 50Hz and 60Hz, which is not that low, but not bad for a driver with Fs of 105Hz.
- This driver comes out of the Beyma professional line, but sounds very natural even without notch filter. There is no PA-shout or strange coloration, however, of course it is not comparable with an exclusive high-end driver, especially in the heights. On the positive side there is the punch, the live-feeling and the easiness at high volumes which draws a smile at your face.
- And now the best thing: The driver costs about 35 Euro, which means that you can build a big, full blown rearloaded horn for about 50 Euro per side. So it is a perfect entry project into fullrange horns and perfect for beginners, students or as secondary speaker for the party room. Lucky Spaniards: I've seen, that the Beyma 8AG/N costs 18 Euros there. :rolleyes:

Here are some pictures:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here is the plan:

And here is the frequency response. The driver was not fully broken in at this time, according to the measurements of a German DIY magazine it should go well to 12000Hz and I have to say that the heights improved in the last weeks. I will do a new measurement in the next weeks to check this. And, yes, this mesurement is calibrated, so this is what you get with one single Watt. :D

Nice greetings, Berndt

ummmmm, where have you seen this drivers at 18E in Spain ?

I'm starting my first DIY full-range speakers. I thought about the Fostex FE166E (or perhaps, the 206), but they are hard to find here in Spain.

So, for this 18E for the Beyma's, I think I could try them...:D (while I found the Fostex's) ;)

Thanx for the informations.

Best regards from Spain !!

danke schön, berndt, sorry my german is very fragmented as since I was 10 yrs old going to school in klosterneiburg after the hungarian revolution as a refugee from the communists I haven't had much call to use it, to my utter shame I have forgotten more than I should have pity anyhow I was in your fair city last year on my way back home to ungarn and took time out to have another look at schönbrun with my son then went to the head office of AKG to get a replacement stylus for my p10ed cartridge as I couldnt find a replacement anywhere else... since I was already there I made the most of it cheers from oz [ AUSTRALIA] TC;) PS; I will look into the local pricing though I dont think I will build a rear loaded horn now as I have recently moved to a much smaller place than the one I had before though it would go well with my SE el 84 amp.... I am sure auch wiedersein my friend

Thank you very much Berndt.

If there are 3 pairs of this system working nowadays, I'm pretty sure it will be 4 in the near future..... :D

And for the plan in english... thanx !!! It's relly very much redeable for me in this language... hehee.

What about the highs in this system ? Have you tried a supertweeter ?? (a beyma horn... :rolleyes: )

Saludos desde España,

Joe

@qwad:
Yeah, were tough times then.
Klosterneuburg is really a nice town. Although I live in the south of Vienna sometimes I come there.
Today here it is snowing like mad, I suppose that you have now hot summer.

Auf Wiedersehen also, nice greetings, Berndt

@Joebig:
I don't have tried a supertweeter by now and personally I think that it makes not much sense, although it could work out quite well. If you count the price of the tweeter and the network, then in my opinion it would be better to invest in a better fullrange driver, like the Fostex FE206E for example. Then you have all the heights you need, and still a point source. I could imagine that the Viech could get quite popular in Spain, if I look at the price of the driver. Maybe I should post the plan in a Spanish Audio forum ;-)

Nice greetings, Berndt

I suppose now you have hot summer
YOU BET so far this year it has been a stinker! around 40c on some days only occasionally below 35/ 37 still for an oldie like me it is far better than the cold:smash: THANKS for the beyma link I called the number but it is no longer in service, suppose I'll have to google to find it here locally but I am not holding my breath as local distributors for things like that " charge like a wounded bull!" to use a local saying, it was more out of curiosity to see how the price compares to FOSTEX drivers which are also available locally at a premium..... cheers TC

Hi Berndt,

Have you tried these drivers in open baffle? I have them now in this configuration and get a nice response up to 15 KHz, but that is without any measurements (just listening some test tones). However, the bass goes considerably lower in your horn, as in OB there is nothing below 100 Hz.
One thing that these drivers do, and I completely agree with you, is that they really deliver the goods effortlessly, maybe because of ther high sensitivity.
BTW, mine costed 22 euro.

Miguel

Well, I have finally found them here in Barcelona. Price... well.... 16.5€... yes I know... they are really expensive, but I'm rich, your know... :eek:

I have test them yesterday with no box. Well, they sound pretty well for the price.

I'm waiting for my Sonic Impact amplifier (I'm sure you have listen about it) in order to test this high efficiency speakers.

Then I will do some cavinet (I don't know if BR or Berndt's Horn (C), or perhaps the two of them) to really test the system.

Like Miguel, I think they lack a bit in the highs, I think I will use some tweeter with a simple 1st order filter, cut very high (between 12kHz and 15kHz).

Thank you all, greetings,

Joe

@miguel2: I tried it in a baffle, but in my opinion the fs of 105 Hz is much to high. There is a kind of hype in germany with the Ciare CH250, which should run considerably low in an open baffle and is not much more expensive. I tried the Beyma 8AG/N also in a vented enclosure made from thin boards (following a tip from a vintage audio fan), which sounded very nice. But of all enclusures I tried the Viech makes most fun in my opinion.

@joebig: Aaaargh! 16,50 Euros! OK, in this case the use of a supertweeter could pay, especially if you get the fine Beyma tweeters also that cheap in Spain ;-)

@zek: I don't know it, but I could imagine, that a Horn with this driver would be really big (kind of Master-Viech). Sounds interesting ;-)

Nice greetings, Berndt

Berndt,
Can you give a description of the vented enclosure you used? Dimensions, materials, vent. Do you think the sound in OB is much different from an enclosure - boxiness? There is some talk about non MDF enclosures, that vibrate along with the speaker. Some are said to be very nice. What about the lower frequency extension in this box?

Joe
That is what I call a good price! Just to try them, find some card from big cardboxes and fit them in OB configuration. You can hear your drivers while you makes those boxes:) .

Miguel

Beyma 8AGN available in Australia

hi,
Beyma 8AGN available in Australia through Krix loud speakers.
I ordered some this week at A$90 ea, + $30 local freight for the pair.
Order asap so it can be sent over in their container leaving in 3-4 weeks from spain.

Peter Lawson,

Director Sales & Marketing

Krix Loudspeakers Pty Ltd

14 Chapman Road,

Hackham South Australia 5163

Phone: +61 8 83843433

Fax: +61 8 83843433

Web: www.krix.com.au

Regards,
Paul Holland,
Sydney.

Thanks for that bit of info, if I''m that way disposed I will call them up as I know scott and his brother ashley, peter lawson is their marketing man / sales manager top blokes all which is more than can be said about another local manufacturer who makes some of the most outrageous claims almost claiming the wheel as his own invention not to mention sliced bread...... yiros, roast lamb perhaps with a little retsina/ stuffed olives and feta thrown in for good measure cheers;) TC

Acoustic foam rubber

Can someone give me a hint what kind of material would qualify as acoustic foam rubber? An application example or a hyperlink perhaps?

Also, I've contacted one company here in the US that deals on this brand - hoping for a in-country source! Design looks great and you can't beat the instructions.... particularly like the non-mitre option.

Thanks...

This is from a source in Austria and Germany, just to underline, what it looks like:

The one I used is made from polyurethane and comes in thickness of 2cm. It should not be much thicker, because there is not much space behind the driver. This kind of material is mainly used for loudspeaker DIY. If you don't find a supply, then normal foam rubber in 2cm thickness should work as well.

Nice greetings, Berndt

yes ordinary foam 1in to 3/4 in would do as well the reason they call it acoustic foam is because of the sculptured surface presenting a larger surface area to absorb acoustic energy, a similar sculptured foam is available locally as a mattress overlay though its a light creamy/ off white color though the color doesent affect it's function years ago kef sold their kefkits with similar blocks of foam as cabinet wall lining, l have a pair of spendor preludes that are lined with a 1 in thick cream foam, which is ordinary poly foam.... nothing special/ also l have a pair of celestion ditton 44's that are filled and lined with similar foam slabs of varying thicknesses, so go with any cheap foam you can find until you can source the sculptured variety good luck and cheers TC:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.