Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"
Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2005, 09:08 PM   #21
Cyburgs is offline Cyburgs  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default I did ...

... some new measurements this weekend, an the result was very interesting.
I noticed that the treble reproduction of my "Viecher" improved over the last weeks and wanted to see, if this could also be confirmed by measurement.

This is the measurement I did when the "Viecher" were new. It was made at the begin of January, 2 months ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

This measurement I did yesterday:

Click the image to open in full size.

Noc changes on the Viech have been done, and also the measurement parameters were the same. All changes in the frequency plot are due to break-in of the drivers. This improvement in the high frequency area is also acoustically noticeable.
This shows that the break-in of fullrange drivers seems to be more than a myth.

Nice greetings, Berndt
Old 1st March 2005, 10:36 AM   #22
panos29 is offline panos29  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to panos29 Send a message via Yahoo to panos29
Dear Berndt,

Excellent results! Very nice and well thought and documented project, my congratulations. What I would like to ask concerning the measurements, what kind of equipment and setup did you used for taking these measurements? Meaning height and distanse of microphone, room location when measuring and also what equipment and software. I am in the search of measuring my horn speakers and am not yet sure how to accomplish this task.

My best regards
Old 1st March 2005, 07:59 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Panos,

I use a measurement system called DLSA, which comes from Germany. The fine thing is that it comes with micro (calibration file included), feature box and Software. All you need is to plug the box via parallel port in the computer and install the software. No hassle with soundcards, microphone calibration and other issues. Also the no-nonsense user-interface is nice to work with. The only disadvantage is the lack of harmonic distortion measurement ability.

http://www.dlsa.de/

The setup up the measurement was the following:
- Distance micro-driver was 1 meter.
- The speaker was taken away from the wall.
- The micro was aimed 0/0 directly at the dustcap.
- Input was 1 Watt.
- Reference signal was taken after the Amp to exclude influence of the Amp.

I'm happy that you like the Viech construction, nice greetings to Greece (my favourite holiday destination BTW, do you know Finikounda/Messinia?), Berndt
Old 1st March 2005, 08:27 PM   #24
panos29 is offline panos29  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to panos29 Send a message via Yahoo to panos29
Dear Berndt,

I really like finikounda! I've been there and in Coroni twice! Hehehe small world ! Anyway the site of the measuring system is not very informative isnt it? How much does it cost anyway? I just recently finished my horn http://audio.dynatech.gr/horny.htm which i designed from scratch and really enjoy but I would like to give it a try and measure it so I can play with stuffing to see if I can get any improvement.

Regards,

Panos
Old 1st March 2005, 08:48 PM   #25
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Berndt,

where did you buy the Beymas in Austria? I want to try your design as soon as possible.

best wishes
Klaus
Old 1st March 2005, 08:53 PM   #26
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

BTW,

I would translate "Viech" (I like that name!) with "beast".
For all of you not familiar with Austrian german "Viech" would be pronounced in a sort of gaelic like "feech"...
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:31 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yeah, beast, yeah ...

Hi Klaus,
I bought the drivers at the official Austrian Beyma distribution, but I am very sorry that I can not give you more data, because I lost the address. I looked after the sheet of paper where I noted it, but it is gone, sorry for that. I originally visited Musik-Produktiv http://www.musik-produktiv.at because they also distribute Beyma chassis and they gave me the address. Maybe give them a call and they will tell you, too.

@Panos: Very impressive horns! And also nice woodwork. Seems like they could blow you out of the windows, if you are not cautious

Nice greetings, Berndt
Old 3rd March 2005, 06:56 AM   #28
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Burn in, or not?

Se on moro!

I took the effort of putting the images on top each others for better readability, and what do you see actually? Not only the 10kHz region but the whole freq response contains variations of several dBs.

Important would be to know if these changes are really due to driver 'burn in' during the time, or has the measurement conditions changed. The variations could come from slightly different room locations of the speaker and the microphone, or simple numerical noise of the FFT of the measurement software.

So how is it?

I'm interested because in one of these days a mailman should bring me a pair of 8AG/N too

- Elias
Attached Images
File Type: gif beyma8agn_yhdistetty.gif (27.2 KB, 1691 views)
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:26 PM   #29
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

ELIAS, I would say it is ' burn -in' [ the result of the surround and spider softening up> with continued use ] as you say in your post at least the nasty peak at 7 k has smoothed off somewhat as has the rest of the response overall much nicer than original cheers TC
Old 1st April 2005, 05:00 PM   #30
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm building a pair of these 'Beesten' - Flemish - (when I'm done posting this reply, I'm of to the 'glue-room' again ). The design and plans seem very nice (Well, I'm building them, so...), although I have found a minor error: the length of the E-panel with 25/-25 cut is ca. one cm too short (it isn't flush with the front panel/ side panel edges).

For the construction I'm using MDF (which should be better than fibreboard), and it won't hurt to round the ends of panels B and C with a sander either, which makes the horn smoother. Maybe I'll also add a very small triangular piece of wood in the corner between C and D to smooth it out a little further. I'll also fill the voids left by the diagonal panels (E, H, I, J) with sand to kill the cabinet vibrations - when you do this, be sure to dry the sand (which is by definition quite moist) by 'baking' it in the oven.

I've had the Beyma drivers for a little while now, and playing them without a cabinet, at first they sounded terrible (very harsh highs). By now this has bettered substantially, and I believe a long burn-in period will indeed be characteristic for high-efficiency fullranges.

Thank for the great plans Berndt, and I'll keep you guys posted on the results!

Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"Hide this!Advertise here!