word to all you backhorn tweakers. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default word to all you backhorn tweakers.

the road i am traveling with my bk-16 backhorn/fe166 combo has lead me to a new topic.

i am finding that ANY amount of stuffing in ANY placement within the horn is causing utter death.

i am thinking now that reducing reflections within the horn is not the way to get optimum sound, smoothness, and life.

perhaps the route is simply to break up standing waves in the enclosure...perhaps even to maximise internal reflections but eliminate standing waves.

fostex hp reflectors?

i would be very interested in hearing from anyone who feels they have tweaked a backhorn with some success.

whip it on me. what, where, how, why?
Old 13th January 2005, 12:04 AM   #2
TC is offline TC  United States
diyAudio Member

You got it Mang! HP diffusors do just what you imagine. They re-direct energy without absorption, allowing it to get down the path and into the room so you can boogie. Just holding one of the lil plastic ******s in the mouth you can hear it's benefit. Sidewall standing waves are causing nulls in the horn. The HP's clean and deepen the bass.

Gonna add me a "noisey" amp to my collection someday, wink nudge.

TC
Old 13th January 2005, 12:27 AM   #3
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

So they come 5 per package and are 6" round(ish). Where do you mount them and do you use all five per speaker? $50 for some molded plastic and a screwdriver- Id hope they work.

amt
Old 13th January 2005, 02:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: word to all you backhorn tweakers.

Quote:
Originally posted by noisenyc
i am finding that ANY amount of stuffing in ANY placement within the horn is causing utter death.

i am thinking now that reducing reflections within the horn is not the way to get optimum sound, smoothness, and life.

perhaps the route is simply to break up standing waves in the enclosure...perhaps even to maximise internal reflections but eliminate standing waves.
Check out http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo206.html

You can try to cover the magnet with a layer of felt. I don't know if the area of 166 magnet is as large as the 206 but it may be worth a quick try.

Cheers,
Gio.
Old 13th January 2005, 02:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: word to all you backhorn tweakers.

Quote:
Originally posted by gmilitano

Check out http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo206.html

You can try to cover the magnet with a layer of felt. I don't know if the area of 166 magnet is as large as the 206 but it may be worth a quick try.

Cheers,
Gio.
haha interesting.

he damped the hell out of his horn, and then put a bsc filter in.

then he proceeded to REMOVE almost all the damping and the bsc, because it just sounds livelier and more fun that way!

sike!
Old 13th January 2005, 03:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TC
You got it Mang! HP diffusors do just what you imagine. They re-direct energy without absorption, allowing it to get down the path and into the room so you can boogie. Just holding one of the lil plastic ******s in the mouth you can hear it's benefit. Sidewall standing waves are causing nulls in the horn. The HP's clean and deepen the bass.

Gonna add me a "noisey" amp to my collection someday, wink nudge.

TC
werd!

ima order some of them plastic morning glories and give 'em a try.

makes sense.

no efficiency losses to absorption. how nice.

why take all that nice zingy speaker energy and try to kill it? send it randomly jumping out the horn into my eager ears.

i have noticed an exaggerated breathiness to the driver, and it reminded me of something.

yamaha ns-10's sitting on the meter bridge of every recording studio in america, with a thin layer of toilet paper hanging over the tweeters. the "bob clearmountain" mod.

i will try that too.

re: noisey amp, oh yes there is one in your future.

you raise cain with me, i will make noise at you. say no more, say no more?
Old 13th January 2005, 03:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amt
So they come 5 per package and are 6" round(ish). Where do you mount them and do you use all five per speaker? $50 for some molded plastic and a screwdriver- Id hope they work.

amt
look for a flat wall facing another flat wall.

screw aforementioned flower to one of them.

that's my guess.

i bet we could come up with a homebrew reflector for the cheepskate, but first i will buy and try the real deal.

i'll keep you posted.
Old 13th January 2005, 04:33 AM   #8
TC is offline TC  United States
diyAudio Member

HP= Hyperbolic Paraboloid. The concept is the very basis of nearly all Fostex design credo as far as their best efforts are concerned. The flip flop surround as seen on the "e" sigmas, and the spiders. The shape defies resonance pattern amplitude both acoustic and physical. Take a look at the back of the packaging. It shows detailed measurements of the HP diffusors in place and the same speaker without them. It's not the 3db that they shave off peaks that is amazing, or the fundamentals increased. But the resolution of the measurements themselves. They totally make John Atkinsons measurements look positively Boy Scout by comparison.

For me the highlight of CES was the Fostex room. A large (very) studio monitor ($22k) was bi amplified with Accuphase pro amps. Drivers were unobtainium 12"woofer w HP cone, alnico magnet, double damping spider, midrange was HP cone, neodymium magnet and polycast frame with no-spider, tweeter was an unavailable neo magnet alum dome. System was mid 90's efficient with solid bass to 30hz. Cabinet was 3" thick laminated Baltic with iano black. Wired with tungsten wiring (60lb. power cords, 30lb. interconnect) all I can say is we have a lot of catch-up to even begin to learn what the hey Fostex is trying to "say".
Easily the best sound at the show and by a mile. Course not many got to hear these beauties as it was in Madisounds back room, it simply gets overlooked year after year.
TC
Old 13th January 2005, 04:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: word to all you backhorn tweakers.

Quote:
Originally posted by noisenyc

he damped the hell out of his horn, and then put a bsc filter in.

then he proceeded to REMOVE almost all the damping and the bsc, because it just sounds livelier and more fun that way!
He does leave the felt on the back of the magnet.

Can anyone explain why connecting the -ve to the speaker chasis would do anything?

Another idea you can consider is

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...477#post506477

Cheers,
Gio.
Old 13th January 2005, 05:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TC
HP= Hyperbolic Paraboloid. The concept is the very basis of nearly all Fostex design credo as far as their best efforts are concerned. The flip flop surround as seen on the "e" sigmas, and the spiders. The shape defies resonance pattern amplitude both acoustic and physical.
that shizz is worth the 50 clams no doubt.

Hide this!Advertise here!