True Surround Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea about using different type of speakers for the rear surrounds than the front right and left? It seems to me that if the rear speakers are going to be getting different noise signals should the speakers be different to handle the signal or do the fronts get the same range as the rear speakers? Could someone please let me know the best home theater speakers in the 2-3" range under $20?

Jered22

Hi,
there appear to be two opposing views on this.
Some think that since the rear and side information is less important that you need narrow band speakers that do not go as loud to the rear.
The other school says all the speakers should be wideband and capable of similar volume.
This may be influenced by the coding system that the source has used.
regards Andrew T.

Essentially if you are after wideband holosonic sound you are best having each speakers/quadrant of the sourround system being matched completely; ie the same speaker, same drivers, same power. That way, you are not introducing anything else to the mix other than what the sound engineer intended and have a greater chance of hearing into the sound design. This is even more so if you are able to replicate a 360deg spherical point location of the speakers in relation to the sweet spot.

I think the difference may be if you are mostly watching movies or listening to surround music. For movies the back sound is not much. For surround music the speakers should be the same because full range information may be sent to the back also. Surround music means you put your speakers in a "circle" with the listening position in the middle. This may be different than set up for movies.

It is my belief that the difference between movies and music are only different in the content they portray.

The surrounds in modern movie tracks can be of wider range than that in a 5.1 music playback and sometimes even greater than that of the 3 main front channels.

I have setup several matched systems based on this philosophy which I have learned from www.widescreenreview.com and can state that having a matched system as stated before does give heightened sense on spacial, imaging etc over a system that is timbrally matched (meant to sound the same but using different drivers and crossovers).

Once you have heard a system set this way you wonder why people bother with the dipole surrounds and limited frequency surrounds recommended by the usual audio stores.

By doing it this way you are imparting nothing to the mix and allow for the sound engineers intention to come through how they would have prefered it; be it music or movies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.